So i want to purchase some scrap can anyone help me out with a yay or ney

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use expensive Nitric when you can use cheap HCl, then filter the Gold out.
Then you will have to safety treat the Be bearing solution for waste and safe disposal.
I have my previous post reread several times, and I found no claim that nitric is best route for claiming Au from BeCu. None. It was just a report of what happen when you use nitric, as an addition to part of Alondro claim regarding solubility of Be in nitric.

That report was intended to help e-scrapers deal with springy connector such as found in RJ45. The good ones are commonly made out of BeCu with Au coating. As a scrap you may find some solder on it as well. So you will find 2% to 3% Be, trace amount of Au, and some Sn with Pb or other solder. The rest 95% to 98% is Cu.

Now, have you ever try and succeed to dissolve mainly Cu compound with your claimed cheaper priced HCl? You can't.

With nitric you can dissolve Cu even Pd and Ag, leaving you with solidus Au that you can directly filter out. But this is not the case when Be is in the mix. The Be will percipitate and/or filtered out together with solidus Au. Even in lower pH there will be some gelatinous Be that will stay at filter. Dead end here, and I am here now. I plan to continue this now binary Be+Au mix with AR.

I have my previous post reread several times, and I found no claim that nitric is best route for claiming Au from BeCu. None. It was just a report of what happen when you use nitric, as an addition to part of Alondro claim regarding solubility of Be in nitric.

That report was intended to help e-scrapers deal with springy connector such as found in RJ45. The good ones are commonly made out of BeCu with Au coating. As a scrap you may find some solder on it as well. So you will find 2% to 3% Be, trace amount of Au, and some Sn with Pb or other solder. The rest 95% to 98% is Cu.

Now, have you ever try and succeed to dissolve mainly Cu compound with your claimed cheaper priced HCl? You can't.

With nitric you can dissolve Cu even Pd and Ag, leaving you with solidus Au that you can directly filter out. But this is not the case when Be is in the mix. The Be will percipitate and/or filtered out together with solidus Au. Even in lower pH there will be some gelatinous Be that will stay at filter. Dead end here, and I am here now. I plan to continue this now binary Be+Au mix with AR.
You was the one bringing up the insolubility and formation of hydroxides.
Many of our members has problems sourcing Nitric in the first place, so we do what we call a Cupric Chloride etch aka AP.
This dissolves Copper quite easy and all you need is HCl and an aquarium air bubbler.
And it will leave most of the Pd and all of the Gold and Silver behind as solids.

It turns out that Be(OH)2 percipitate can easily separated from Au by density differential, a.k.a panning. Most of Au from nitric leach is still in solid or agglomerated form, it stays at bottom. (Some small amount of Au might be in atomic form. These will be suspended longer and washed away during panning.🤷‍♂️)

To limit the amount of Be contaminated water during panning, just let the waste water settle for an hour or so and most of the Be(OH)2 will sink to bottom. You can decant and reuse the seemingly clear water for panning again.

Edit b moderator, removed double quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Back