Sodium hydroxide to drop Gold out

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMan76

If I use sodium hydroxide to drop gold out of an aqua regia (AR) solution of mixed metals, should the precipitate of the gold be yellow?
If not, what color should I look for to know in fact that it is gold that's dropping out of the AR solution?

Edited to be less annoying to read. Hereafter, please use proper punctuation and avoid unnecessary increasing font size.~Lou

I know theres gold in the solution. I just never used sodium hydroxide before...Im doing a AR test with pure gold and sodium hydroxide. lets see what happens :twisted:

MetalMan76 said:
I know theres gold in the solution. I just never used sodium hydroxide before...Im doing a AR test with pure gold and sodium hydroxide. lets see what happens :twisted:

I have only used it to drop silver fron litho fix

From a pure gold chloride solution the precipitate will be very dark brown to black colored.

Steve

My constructive advice metalman: be careful adding base to acid!! Also, there's no real point to use base to precipitate gold unless the solution is very pure.

Latest posts

Back