sodium hydroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NaOH can be used to raise the pH-make more basic.

I use NaOH to strip silver x-ray films. I thought that was the only way, but then I read that bleach also works. I will use bleach in the future if it works as well.

-junkelly

Don't use bleach. It really stinks, it's corrosive, and you end up with AgCl, which has to be converted to Ag before you melt it. Also, it's inefficient - you'll always lose some. With Caustic soda (NaOH), you end up with a product that you can directly melt after you incinerate it. No matter what you use, you have to incinerate it to burn off the emulsion. With 10%, w/v Caustic soda, it will strip in a few minutes at about 100 deg. F.

For about 5 years, I ran about 1000# of film per day in a refinery I owned. I tried everything, including bleach, and ended up using 10% Caustic soda. The safest thing I used was enzyme/baking soda, but it stinks too much (the essence of a septic tank) for me. The big guys use enzymes or about 3 to 4% Caustic soda @ 200 deg F for about 45 minutes, in their huge mixers. No bleach. I guarantee that you'll hate bleach. Stick with the caustic soda. You'll be a much happier person.

Back