Sodium nitrate for silver help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..but would like to ask if anyone heard or tried of Hydrocloric acid or Muriatic Acid with Sodium Hydroxide for silver

Now I am shocked! HCl and NaOH to form salt is one of the first reactions any child learns in the subject chemistry in schools all over the world. Whenever I try to answer a question without knowing someone's personal context, I presume, that you have had 1,5 lessons/week for 3 years in school. Having less knowledge about chemistry and wanting to make your own dangerous chemicals is like wanting to write philosophical books without knowing the alphabet, with the difference that any writing mistake can harm you and others for a lifetime.

I see only two possibilities:

Start with reading Hoke and the forum threads about safety, waste ...all you find here: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=6873#6873 = the practical way without unnecessary chemical theory

or

Start finding some easy chemistry books for kids on the library and work yourself through the stuff up to end of highschool/start of college level and then turn back to the forum reading just everything = the more educated way.

This sounds harder, than it is, because you will have your first small successes right from the start. Not doing one of them and going on asking meaningless questions is nothing else but forum trolling in my eyes.

test1.jpgI tested some sliver by adding silver nitrate to some silver plated and some pure silver bits & pieces...after 4 hrs they melted..most of the silver plated ones had copper under. so I added some distilled water and left the copper in there cause thats what needed any way for the silver crystals to form..I kept them there for about 27 hrs...there was white cloudly formation at the bottom..but its looks so soft dont know if it can be collected or filtered..if i shake it it spreads ..but will settle again at the bottom...

maybe i did something wrong...any advice will be appreciated
thanks all

Attachments

• testr1.jpg
    testr1.jpg
    50.6 KB
It seems your lacking some understanding of what you have achieved so far. One last bit of advice in short hand.
Book page 74.

You most likely would be better off to read more first before adding valuable metals to acid. I have first hand knowledge of the meaning "jumping before you look", thankfully I got out of that stage long before attempting any refining.

Shark said:
It seems your lacking some understanding of what you have achieved so far. One last bit of advice in short hand.
Book page 74.

You most likely would be better off to read more first before adding valuable metals to acid. I have first hand knowledge of the meaning "jumping before you look", thankfully I got out of that stage long before attempting any refining.

shark u can learn to fly a plane... by reading all the manuals ..but eventually you will have to sit in the cockpit.

Take off wasnt so bad.

Now I am just wondering how to land this air plane, before it runs out of gas, any HELP! would be appreciated.

I do not want to hear I should have learned to fly first, or should have read the manuals, before trying this solo flight.
I just want to know how to get my feet back on the ground without hurting myself.

butcher said:
Take off wasnt so bad.

Now I am just wondering how to land this air plane, before it runs out of gas, any HELP! would be appreciated.

I do not want to hear I should have learned to fly first, or should have read the manuals, before trying this solo flight.
I just want to know how to get my feet back on the ground without hurting myself.

exactly!!

rfran7788,
Is this what they call flying solo?
I always thought you were supposed to study learn before trying to fly solo, spending time on the ground, and working to learn to fly, before jumping in and taking off. Especially when dealing with such a dangerous process.
When you ask those who have the ability to help you learn to fly, it may be a good idea to listen to those flying instructors, if they say you should spend some time studying, the basics, and the safety, before your first solo flight, maybe they are trying to help you learn to fly, maybe doing so will help before going solo with no clue of what to do after you take off.
Learning to fly by making many crash landings, not only is dangerous but also stupid, not a very good way to learn to learn to fly in my opinion.
At least learn how the plane works, and how to fly it safely, before taking off.

Now that you are up in the air with no place to land, maybe it is time to begin learning how this plan works, you surely do not want to touch the wrong buttons, that could cause you to come crashing to the ground.

Begin with the safety section, and dealing with waste.
As you had already created some very deadly gases you should have been aware of, and a toxic solution and waste you will need to deal with properly.

As far as the silver, your solution, and the results do not look like what I would expect, with silver dissolved in nitric acid, and cemented, with copper.
You do have the blue solution I would expect, you do have some unwanted bits of metal copper (undissolved), and the powders color makes me suspect you also may have chlorides involved, in that toxic solution.

rfran7788,
We would like to help you learn this, but before we can, you will have to be willing to learn, you cannot do that by not doing the needed work, if you do not study we cannot teach you how to fly, with a few questions, and answers, you have to also do the required work to help yourself to learn to fly.
You will need to do some study, to learn the basics of flying, flying can be dangerous, studying safety is a good place to begin.

It is time to begin study, learn to test for silver in solution, and how to deal with waste, Hokes book, and the safety section will help with that study.

Take a look at your first picture. Job one is safety, there fore the first problem is located in the picture. first step to fixing the problem; Take the stuff outside, or get a fume hood. Excitement can be a powerful thing to overcome, by reading continuously, even when you think you know, it will help to beat the rush of excitement. Relax, take a deep breath, and slow down just a bit. I work by a saying, "Slow down, we don't have time to do it twice". Explanation: Get it right the first time, (then we can move on to another job).

Second I will let you tell us what you read and how you understand it:
"I tested some sliver by adding silver nitrate to some silver plated and some pure silver bits & pieces..."

Another example of my case in beginning to refine. This isn't over simplified, just the way I did it. I read and studied about cold nitric, ask butcher about a safe way to make nitric, then studied the cold nitric posts some more, then back to butcher's advice. I bet I read back and forth 50 times. From the time I ask about it until I made the stuff took me 4 months. I had to learn about each chemical, then I had to learn about what happens and what was formed by adding the first two chemicals together. From there I needed to know what problems arise from the heating process. Then I needed to know what happens when a third chemical is added to the first, and the effects of heating those mixed chemicals. Then I needed to learn what happens when it was cooled because left over chemicals are formed and needed to be dealt with. I also had to push myself to not rush it from the excitement of my new knowledge. And then, with my nitric "in hand", I took another three days to decide to put my silver in it, I needed to be sure I wasn't just throwing silver into some mixed up mess. So for my first try, I made a small test in a shot glass and added .5 grams of sterling jewelry. It worked. All those months of "baby steps" payed off for me. Even now, when I make nitric, I am quite cautious, I hope I stay that way for my safety. At my level of experience I am not out to refine silver in a large way, I just wanted to try it and to turn the little silver I have into a cleaner metal for future inquartation of karat gold. It took me those four months to learn something that I really could have gotten by with out at this stage, but I had to know just for the sake of learning. Learning the right way, combined with a cautious approach will aid you much in asking for help in such a way that can be understood and help to keep you safe as well.

I really hope you succeed, but learning is as big a part of refining, maybe the biggest part, even a bigger of it part than doing. Let us know if you find the answer to the second mistake I post about for you.

rfran7788 said:
shark u can learn to fly a plane...
The use of text jargon is not well received on this board. Refrain from doing so, as the price you'll pay if you persist will be to be banned. Consider this as your one fair warning. Also, understand that I have a deep hatred for those who are too damned lazy to spell it out. I give my posts my full attention, spending valuable time in trying to help others. In doing so, I expect that I have earned the respect of readers. I'll accept nothing less in return.

Are you reading Hoke's book? If not, why not?

Harold

rfran7788 said:
I tested some sliver by adding silver nitrate to some silver plated and some pure silver bits & pieces...after 4 hrs they melted.
They didn't **melt**----that's a function of heating. What they did was *****dissolve*****.

Please use proper terminology when you post----do not make misleading statements. I don't want this board to become one known as being misleading.

Remember---some people who read posts here don't have a clue, so they may not be able to differentiate what is, from what is not.

Harold

Latest posts

Back