sodium nitrate for silver & palladiium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relpub3

Hi, I know that nitric acid and distilled water solution can be used to dissolve silver and palladium.

And sodium nitrate is used to make aqua regia which will be used to dissolve gold.

What can one do if one only has sodium nitrate? Can it be used to dissolve silver and palladium instead of nitric acid?

If one can dissolve silver with SN, do you also use salt or HCL to precipitate the silver ? and what do you use to precipitate the palladium then?

thanks

Alberto

Alberto,

You need to remove the sodium ion to allow the silver or palladium to bond with the nitrate ion. This can be done with concentrated sulfuric acid as indicated in my recipe for nitric acid:

Nirtric Recipe

Steve

So sodium nitrate and distilled water solution can not be used to remove silver from keyboard mylars. The sodium has to be removed first. Is that correct? I am trying to find a more cost effective way to recover silver from several lbs of mylars at the moment. Sodium nitrate is MUCH more affordable that nitric acid. Thanks

lazersteve said:
Alberto,

You need to remove the sodium ion to allow the silver or palladium to bond with the nitrate ion. This can be done with concentrated sulfuric acid as indicated in my recipie for nitric acid:

Nirtic Recipie

Steve

You got a new chemical you are working with? What is Nirtic? 8)

I fixed the link in the quote box.

Thank for the spelling catch Frank, sometimes I type too fast and the letters either come out backwards or not at all!

Fixed.

Steve

Lino1406 said:
To remove silver from mylar...
I think caustic rinse is enough

Hi Lino

Unlike films, the Ag prined on KB mylars is elemental.
Caustic will do nothing to it.

Latest posts

Back