solder on pins?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtectr

I've attached a really poor quality photo representative of a problem i am having with small pin recovery. i am now using hotplate with doesn't overheat the plastic as in this photo, where i finally just clipped off the exposed gold and left remainder for later.
These older pins are plated their entire length, i believe (?) but some solder remains even with low heat removal. Can these be processed safely in crockpot method or will the solder:
1) mask these portions of pin from leaching solution, or
2) contaminate the slution leading to more problems later?

also, i've developed a plastic non-reactive basket with a SS insert that can be attached to anode. would these work in there and will i have the same concerns?

thanks to everyone here - i began my first batch through sulfuric cell & am on my way! My Grandfather, a carpenter, always said, "Measure it twice and cut it once." i am still trying to follow that advice and you all have been a great help.
thanks!

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    67 KB
lazersteve said:
HCl in the crock pot should help with removing your solder.

Steve

thanks steve. I was hoping for your input. on this other topic
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7343#p67964

i discussed using what i hoped was SS mesh and alternatively a plastic basket with SS coil for anode attachment. that i used some on pins. since many of my pins (most) are the lower quality & smaller IDE, i was wondering if i could 1st remove solder w/crockpot, rinse well & dry, then use in sulfuric cell with above equipment. i am hoping to thereby avoiding saturating the muriatic solution prematurely, i.e. removing problem base metal, solder, and then removing the AU from the base metal on the pins in the sulfuric cell.

any thoughts appreciated - being productive is very important to me & my family's current situation right now.
thanks again.

dtectr said:
lazersteve said:

Steve

i discussed using what i hoped was SS mesh and alternatively a plastic basket with SS coil for anode attachment. that i used some on pins. since many of my pins (most) are the lower quality & smaller IDE, i was wondering if i could 1st remove solder w/crockpot, rinse well & dry, then use in sulfuric cell with above equipment. i am hoping to thereby avoiding saturating the muriatic solution prematurely, i.e. removing problem base metal, solder, and then removing the AU from the base metal on the pins in the sulfuric cell.

any thoughts appreciated - being productive is very important to me & my family's current situation right now.
thanks again.

If they have solder on them it will probably be best to go ahead and run them in the crock pot. I will be hard to regulate what is going to start disolving in the HCL so you will possibly hve some copper that will start disolving and relasing your gold in flakes once that starts it will be just simple to continue the process rather than try to change in mid stream and create problems.

Barren Realms 007 said:
dtectr said:
lazersteve said:

Steve

thanks again.

If they have solder on them it will probably be best to go ahead and run them in the crock pot. I will be hard to regulate what is going to start disolving in the HCL so you will possibly hve some copper that will start disolving and relasing your gold in flakes once that starts it will be just simple to continue the process rather than try to change in mid stream and create problems.

thanks - i hadn't considered that - i'd end up having to process 2 solutions rather than one. And HCL is a lot cheaper than sulfuric.

If you have solder on gold plate then the gold is dissolved in the solder. There will be no gold under the solder, just a nickel plated layer on top of the brass base metal.

Depending on the method of soldering the board the gold plate is either in the solder of the solder joint... Whenever they used vapor oven, IR oven, hot air oven or hand soldering. Most surface mount components and modern boards uses these processes.
... or the gold is mixed up with the solder bath of a wave soldering machine. That way small amounts of gold could be transferred from one batch of gold plated boards into low value boards without a trace of gold, some came from the solder bath. If my memory serves me well, solder baths had to be changed whenever the gold contents rose to circa 0.5% gold as the solder joints became brittle.

So to sum it up, if you dissolve pins with solder on then you get some gold as a fine powder or even as colloidal gold, never as foils. Only the part without tin would produce foils.

/Göran

Latest posts

Back