Solubility and Drying Agents information

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane333

I found this information, which is not copyrighted. I'm trying to determine if there is a way to remove the excess water from %35 NAPA Battery Acid without heat. As we all know, hot H2SO4 (Sulfuric Acid) is one of the most dangerous acids to anything organic (i.e. human flesh). In searching for a safer method (possibly using Silica Gel as a desiccant, which is cheap and readily available at your local craft store under the guise "Flower Drying Agent"), I came across some interesting information on desiccants. It makes me wonder if a vacuum desiccator can be used to remove this excess water. I realize this is not a forum where Organic Chemistry is the norm, but occasionally, the line is crossed. Again, this is not copyrighted material.

View attachment Solubility and Drying Agents.pdf

I am not sure.

sulfuric acid absorbs water from its surroundings, sulfuric is a dehydrating agent itself, so my thinking is it would compete with other dehydrating agent for the moisture, if there was a dehydrating agent that loved water more and could pull it away from the sulfuric maybe this could be done, if there is such an absorbent it should be fairly easy to find it and its use in a web search, I just have not heard of one.

That is a good question. Sulfuric Acid is considered a desiccant but uses absorption to "take in" the moisture where as Silica Gel uses aDsorption in it's drying process. Figuring out if there is a desiccant that is stronger than H2SO4 is the challenge. If there is one, it could possibly work. Glass Vacuum Desiccators are running anywhere from $50-350 and more on Ebay. The following is an excerpt I found on madsci.org website. Interesting reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: What is the difference between adsorb and absorb?
Date: Tue Feb 17 08:25:57 2004
Posted By: John Christie, Faculty, Dept. of Chemistry,
Area of science: Chemistry
ID: 1076303078.Ch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This question is familiar and important to me because I have taught surface chemistry to second year
University students for many years, and I am always needing to stress the difference so that they get
the terms right. In terms of Latin origins of prefixes, my dictionary tells me that ab- means "from"
while ad- means "to". That is where the two different words come from, but it does not help explain
the differences in the meaning that scientists attach to the words.

"Absorb" refers to a situation where something is taken into a medium, and disappears as a
consequence (from?). "Adsorb" refers to a situation where something gets stuck onto (to?)
the surface of a medium.

We would use "absorb" for when light is absorbed by a coloured or opaque object, or for when water is
soaked into a sponge, or even for when my students manage to "take in" some of what I am telling
them. It is an ordinary English word.

"Adsorb" is used for a very specific situation where molecules get stuck onto a surface. It does not
occur as a word in ordinary language, outside its scientific meaning. Adsorption is very important,
because many chemical reactions can go a lot faster when the reacting molecules are adsorbed at a
surface (reactions of hydrogen gas on the surface of nickel, for example), or chemical reactions can be
prevented by the presence of a barricading adsorbed layer on the surface (aluminium failing to react
with air, for example), or impurities can be removed from a solution by adsorbing them onto a finely
divided solid (activated charcoal for decolorizing solutions, or for medicinal use, for example).

Additionally, I found some interesting information on Shroomery.org about a few desiccants. It appears Silica Gel is not a very good desiccant only lowering the RH (Relative Humidity) to just under %40 whereas Anhydrous Calcium Chloride (also known under the brand name "DampRid" and very cheap according to the website) can lower the RH to below %25. Even stronger is Anhydrous Calcium Sulphate with the ability to lower the RH to below %1. Although more expensive, Calcium Sulphate goes under the brand name "Drierite" but is also known as Plaster of Paris or just plain powdered gypsum. All of these desiccants can be regenerated and reused.

Latest posts

Back