Some time in the future , build a fume hood ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mech

I am accumulating info on building a fume hood .
But in my searching , I am not finding anything about filtering / cleaning the exhaust ?

I did think of an idea for my vacuum pump , maybe I could do the same with fume hood exhaust ?

With the vacuum pump [ pulling a vacuum on gassing filter flasks , etc. ] running vacuum hose through a sealed water container - gases enter submerged tube going into water capture & vacuum pump a 2nd tube above water level out to pump .
With the idea of not harming the pump with refining gases , I did get a very good deal on a chem-lab vacuum pump , any suggestions welcome .

So the same with filtering fume hood exhaust - push through water to help clean up what the fume hood is putting out ?

It is going to be some time in the future before i have space for harsher chemistry , at this time working outside & limiting chemicals to hydrogen peroxide & hydrochloric acid , melting into buttons .
This is mainly for electronics gold & silver recovery [ I do on occasion get other sources of gold & silver ] , but no refining until I can setup a safe lab with a fume hood .

to get an air fan pulling or pushing air through water will need a pretty powerfull fan with closed rotator blades to the housing. They only create flow in a situation where pressure is not that big a factor.
i would scrub fumes from reactions vessels and minimize the escape of fumes when opening or filling up chemicals and let a big airflow disperse the small amount of gases into the air.

Place the outlet so that you don't draw in air from the exhaust into you lab.

Don't create big red clouds, then you don't even have to scrub.
Is it a hobby or for a living?

Most of the fumes produced in this industry are acidic so you want to pull them through a basic solution. More is better in this regard. Most hobby usage won't be producing large amounts of these fumes and so the need for large scrubbers not really necessary. Small ones will work fine. It is the right thing to do however, especially if you live with other people in close proximity.

As was said above, refine your techniques so you aren't generating much in the first place. If you are seeing lots of red/brown fumes then you are using too much chems and wasting them costing you some money. Keep your reaction vessel covered with a watch glass, the red fumes will condense on the watch glass, precipitate out as the acid it came from and fall back into the reaction vessel and keep working for you.

The forum has many posts on building your own fume hood and scrubbers from stuff you can get at any big box store. The general rule on air volume is 100CFM for every square foot of open space in the front of the hood.

Back