Something odd growing in my silver cell please help.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of what I run is sterling hollow ware and flatware. I run jewelry sometimes as well, but there is a lot of junk out there that is stamped sterling or 925 but it isn't.

Most hollow ware and flatware is legitimate since it's made by large companies who would have a lot to lose if their products weren't up to snuff. On the other hand, anyone with ten bucks can buy a sterling or 925 stamp and turn out junk all day long.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Most of what I run is sterling hollow ware and flatware. I run jewelry sometimes as well, but there is a lot of junk out there that is stamped sterling or 925 but it isn't.

Most hollow ware and flatware is legitimate since it's made by large companies who would have a lot to lose if their products weren't up to snuff. On the other hand, anyone with ten bucks can buy a sterling or 925 stamp and turn out junk all day long.

Dave

Yea you never really know what you get till you do it. I have alot to learn and figure out.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That happens to me when the electrolyte is to much contaminated, time to change it. I usual use it till this occurs, I'm not that interested in the pure silver. I run my silver thru the cell for the slimes. Since u use 90% silver your electrolyte will be to contaminated fast. I use cemented silver also around 99% pure.
I harvest it with crystals and melt it all together and it still assays around 99%, so I guess it's still pure silver just not in crystals.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn STK-LX1 met Tapatalk

Slochteren said:
That happens to me when the electrolyte is to much contaminated, time to change it. I usual use it till this occurs, I'm not that interested in the pure silver. I run my silver thru the cell for the slimes. Since u use 90% silver your electrolyte will be to contaminated fast. I use cemented silver also around 99% pure.
I harvest it with crystals and melt it all together and it still assays around 99%, so I guess it's still pure silver just not in crystals.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn STK-LX1 met Tapatalk

Thank you. I am going to start cementing my silver before I put it into the cell. I am saving my slimes and will learn how to refine them later.

I am going to cement this batch of electrolyte and start over. Thanks for the confirmation.

Palladium said:
xdxninjax said:
I didn't use any tap water and the 90% shot I used was rinsed with distilled water.

Please do tell more!

So I didn't know that this was a sarcastic comment ment to belittle me and my knowledge. But because of it I went back and went over all the info that I could. I found the error of my ways and I learned alot more. I know that you are highly regarded in this forum and that you know far more then I probably ever could. But I aspire to not be a sarcastic ass hat and help those that want the help and are respectful. So thank you. You did help me out. My cell has never looked and produced better. I will be getting the rest of my info from someone that wants to help and wants me to help them in return. Ban, block or delete me I don't mind. I just wanted to let you know I get what you are putting down. Have the best of days.

I also buy silver coins and make them into bars, using precipitation, then shot to cell, to bars, it's fun regardless of if it costs me a few dollars more than actual cost, in time it should pay off, for me it just being able to show some handiwork to others and myself, shouldn't this hobby / pastime be fun ?

Back