something that bothers me

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have plenty of fantasy jewllery made with brass and plated with precious metals like gold,palladium,silver and some with rhodium------------------------------------------------------------------
what i do:i take 1kilo batches and dissolve with nitric (70%)diluted to 35%.to dissolve base metals and ag +pd in the solution-----what remains,is a greysh powder containing gold ,some pd cemented and some agcl in the form of agcl and rh if present in the plated jewellery--------------- the remains(average) 35 grams per kilo----
i take this 35grams and dissolve in ar and obtain 0,8 grams of gold +0,4grams of pd (which was cemented in the 35grams powder) and remains in the ar leached solution around 8to 10grams of powder with some agcl and rh(if present)-------what bothers me is that in my mind the powder left should be no more then 1gram of agcl and rh ------what is the 7 to 9grams left after the whole process-???-------example:in 100kilos of these jewllery ,i obtain 80grams of gold,50grams of palladium ,50grams of silver---and 700grams to 900grams of this powder------
what bothers me and is not understandable(to me) is this powder that always remains
thanks for replies
Arthur

although i do not think that the base metals might be bronze----i will roast (incinerate) the material and leach it with hcl-----i will see what happens and will tell you what happened.
thanks for the moment,
Arthur

dear friends,i did all the recomendations given to me and the powder left did not dissolve in ar----i realized that is not bronze(no tin)-----it might be white bronze=copper +si----tomorrow i will try to dissolve the( si)?and then ar again-----
any more ideas?
thanks,
Arthur

Arthur

white bronze could also be Cu+Sn+Zn with no Si.

Try and react some of the white/gray powder hot 50% sulfuric acid solution, if partially /completely dissolved, then most likely it is H2SnO3.

Samuel,i will try as you mentioned----50%h2so4 +50%h20---hot--------i hope it is not silica---if si i will have to use or hot naoh(palladium recomendation) or hf(my last hope)
regards
Arthur

i did the 1to1 hot h2so4 and the powder was reduced by 5%in weight----with nacl it gave agcl and the liquid became green and with potassium ferrocianide it gave prussiam blue=fe---------------
to the powder left i used ar and the stanous test gave a little pd------- in resume :began with 70 grams of powder and i have now 64grams----a pifious result--------.
thanks and regards
Arthur

Back