Something way out in left field

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shecker

I am posting this as a matter of observed curiosity, so please keep that in mind. Recently I read an article on the production of nano gold from a gold chloride solution using soybeans. So I have done precipitation tests with alternative soy products. I have found that soy sauce captures and reduces metals from solution and it seems to be precious metal selective. I have done this repeatedly in a copper solution and have observed no subsequent reduction of copper. This is for those who want to experiment. And I post this for that purpose alone. I haven't tried Tofu yet but I wouldn't be surprised at the results.

Randy in Gunnison

Shecker said:
I am posting this as a matter of observed curiosity, so please keep that in mind. Recently I read an article on the production of nano gold from a gold chloride solution using soybeans. So I have done precipitation tests with alternative soy products. I have found that soy sauce captures and reduces metals from solution and it seems to be precious metal selective. I have done this repeatedly in a copper solution and have observed no subsequent reduction of copper. This is for those who want to experiment. And I post this for that purpose alone. I haven't tried Tofu yet but I wouldn't be surprised at the results.

Randy in Gunnison

Soybeans and soy sauce contain phytic acid which forms an insoluble complex with many minerals, proteins and other nutrients. Soy is a terrible food but it looks like you have discovered a better use for it. Makes perfect sense! I know it will bind with zinc and presumably many other metals. Very cool. 8)

I have found with a little bit of experimentation that this works the best in the presence of copper, even though the phytic acid does not precipitate the copper. So the copper is probably functioning as a catalyst. I am doing tests with both soluble copper and copper wire in the solution. It also seems to require a pH of between 1 and 4. I will keep the forum advised on any further discoveries.

Randy in Gunnison

Latest posts

Back