spray nozzles for packed tower

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4metals said:
They should work, I do know of one refiner in India who used wiffle balls about the size of baseballs.

The thing you need to do is allow the airflow and scrubber water flow to "reset" itself by having an open section of tower about every 1 1/2 tower diameters. Just about 6" of space should work fine. Air flow and scrubber liquid tends to channel as it runs through packing, some packing does it more than others. If you were buying expensive, professionally made packing this is taken into consideration but I would assume with these pseudo gold balls. it's not the case.
Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I have been working seven days a week for about a month now and haven't been able to get to work on this. I have figured out that using the bio balls requires an extremely high flow rate in order to get all of the surface wet. I used a 750 GPH pump in the test sleeve and got much better results but it caused me another problem. My original plan was to have three 12" sections running off the one pump but when I tested it with three nozzles I don't get even flow to each section and I think I am still getting too coarse of a mist
I think the bio balls are turning into a poor choice for this kind of design but I understand now why the commercial scrubber packing had such fine void spacing. I am interested in trying a coil of perforated poly tube running through the center like nickvc said. I think it is the last hope for this design using the bio balls. I will post results when I do this but I am going to be busy until after New Years.
If this does not work I am going to go with the flooded packing idea. Recently, I had the pleasure to meet with Phildreamer and got to look at his setup closely. We both agreed it was considerably easier than trying to match mist size and flow rates to the bio ball surface area. Phil was extremely nice and he offered much of his afternoon showing me things and answering my questions. Actually, his setup is what encouraged me to think I could build this one myself. So thank you Phil, and I am very much looking forward to showing you my "eye candy" when I am done.
Thank you all and Merry Xmas.

Back