Stainless beakers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etack

http://www.labsupplyoutlaws.com/products/Lab-Supplies/Beakers-Lab-Supplies/Reusable-Beakers/Vollrath-Stainless-Steel-Beakers-without-Spout.htm
Can I use this to boil silver contacts in?

They are made by Vollrath

Eric

You could i guess if they are non magnetic but if you will notice they are cylindrical which if you have a boil over will lead to a foam over because the solution cant expand enough. Use just a regular stainless ( 300 series ) cooking vessel like mama makes spaghetti in will work and is a whole lot cheaper and wider for expansion room.

Palladium is too right. I use a 40 qt stainless pan 6 inches deep. If I keep the material all at one end while processing, the wave front of foam boil over travels to the other end of the pan before it can begin to try to climb out. Usually it will dissapate before reaching the other end as there is no reacting material under the foam to keep it going.
With a round vessel, the boil over can only go one way.... Straight up. It is managable if you are on stand by with a cold water spray from an appropriate sized applicator. If I react in a 5 l beaker, I stand by with a garden pump sprayer untill I can guage the reaction with the addition of chemicals.

A spray bottle is good for a 2 l vessel or smaller, but make sure it is full of cold water and in case you have really over done chemical additions, be prepared to refill it fast or have a second one handy. Kill your heat source if necessary as well till you get it under controll. Key word is spray.. Not stream.

If you proceed with measured doses and are prepared to battle the boilover... It can be a workable method.

A nice benefit to controlled foaming is the foam's ability to trap a lot of the NOX under the foam blanket. Not all, but a lot for sure.

Just a quick note for those looking for a ss vessel. I needed a couple more pots to run my GF in so i found this deal and thought someone else might need one to. These are made by Polar Ware and are 5 gallon size. They are $35 dollars each including shipping, I bought 2. :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180973920878?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Got my vessel a couple of days ago and have run several lots in them so far. Works great!
These things aren't like the kitchen type cooking vessels. You can tell that they are much more heavier duty than that. I have two made for the kitchen and two of these and these are build like Mack trucks compared to them in my opinion. $35 with free delivery! You can't beat that.

All of the restaurant stainless I've bought has been non-magnetic.

I've run many, many 2# batches of large sweated-off contact points (not any containing tungsten - I sorted all those out first and ran them together later) in 5 gallon buckets and never found it necessary to heat the nitric solution. I usually only did 2# at a time to keep the bucket from getting too hot and to allow plenty of room for foaming. It also kept the solution depth below 2" which, in my experience, is about the maximum acid depth for efficient dissolving. The reaction produces so much heat that you can hardly lay your hand on the side of the bucket yet, not so much as to melt the bucket, although it did soften a bit. I put the bucket in a tray to catch any drips, put it under the fume hood, added 2# of points, calculated the nitric and distilled water I thought I needed (for a 50/50 solution), covered the points with all the water, and added about 1/4 of the nitric. The reaction started quickly. When it died down, I gave it a stir and added another 1/4 of the nitric. I repeated this until all the nitric was in, which took a total of about 30-45 minutes. I then loosely covered the bucket, put it at the back of the fume hood, and let it work overnight.

Since sweated off contact points usually ran about 82% silver, with most of the remainder copper and cadmium, it took about 1.75ml of nitric and 1.75ml of distilled water to dissolve 1 gram.

The next morning, I poured the solution into another bucket. If there was any undissolved silver (usually very little, if any), I dissolved it in a beaker with just enough fresh 50/50 nitric, using a little heat, if necessary, so it would go faster. I then combined the solutions, added an equal amount of distilled water, stirred it, and filtered it. I put the filtered solution into a clean bucket and added at least 6-8 lengths of bus bar (2", if I could get it) separated from each other as much as possible. I stirred it occasionally during the day with one of the bus bars and then let it work overnight. I tested it for completeness in the morning with a drop of HCl. It was usually finished. If not, I let it work more. When it tested finished, I scraped the bus bars down with a plastic scraper, rinsed them with a squirt bottle, and removed the bars. I let it settle, siphoned or carefully poured off the tops, filtered the tops, and then filtered the bottom residue in the same filter(s). After thorough rinsing in the filter, I dried it, melted it into cell bars, and ran it through a silver cell.

I love buckets. I have 2 5 gallon ones wrapped with heating pads from the thrift store ($10) that i use if i need a little heat. I also have a gas turkey cooker thats make for a good heater for this size pot i bought. I had to have the big pots for a client who wants me to run around 250 lbs of gold filled. I like the simple but i like my engineered toys for processing to. To me this is like Christmas when i find something to add to my arsenal at a discounted price. I might buy 2 more just for the heck of it. I have more pyroceram that i know what to do with to. When i pass one at trade day for $3 it's hard to say no to. :mrgreen:

Palladium said:
I love buckets. I have 2 5 gallon ones wrapped with heating pads from the thrift store ($10) that i use if i need a little heat. I also have a gas turkey cooker thats make for a good heater for this size pot i bought. I had to have the big pots for a client who wants me to run around 250 lbs of gold filled. I like the simple but i like my engineered toys for processing to. To me this is like Christmas when i find something to add to my arsenal at a discounted price. I might buy 2 more just for the heck of it. I have more pyroceram that i know what to do with to. When i pass one at trade day for $3 it's hard to say no to. :mrgreen:

The ones you bought are definitely a good deal. On that same page, I noticed a SS 55 gal barrel for a total of about $200, including shipping - $139 + $66 (to Missouri, at least). Cut the top out and you have a great vessel for shotting gold or silver.

goldsilverpro said:
The ones you bought are definitely a good deal. On that same page, I noticed a SS 55 gal barrel for a total of about $200, including shipping - $139 + $66 (to Missouri, at least). Cut the top out and you have a great vessel for shotting gold or silver.

On there web site they have some 316 55gal barrel it has a plastic liner will this work for nitric, or is the 304 OK?

http://shop.usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/

They happen to be 40min from my hose

Eric

I would be wary of any crimped bottom rim drums. Sealing compounds may not hold nitric and the seam may hold incompatible residues. Look for welded seam construction and nitric safe lid gaskets. A Teflon lid gasket for an open top drum may cost more than a used drum.

Latest posts

Back