Stannous chloride crystals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Poe

Greetings friends of the forum;
A few days ago while I was visiting another member of the forum I notice that he tested for gold using stannous chloride by just dropping a crystal into a plastic spoon filled with a suspected gold solution. This caused alarms to go off in my head.
Since I've never tried it this way, I don't feel right to judge. I'd like to know the experience and opinions of the forum.
Feedback please. Dr. Poe :shock:

As stannous chloride does not dissolve easily
it is best to dissolve it in advance. Another advantage
if silver, lead or mercury in solution, the chloride
ions will reveal it

I like mine dissolved into a liquid solution. I have used just the crystals by taking a drop of solution, adding a drop or two of water and then a couple of crystals. I think it was Chris who has done it this way before. I've never had a problem the few times i did it this way.

I though the simplest ways is to dissolved the crystals in a eyes dropper bottle?

I may be wrong because i have never use Stannous chloride before but i have ordered it.
I will try it as soon as i receive it :lol:

Francis

I use the crystals if I'm in a hurry and my Stannous Chloride solution hasn't been freshened.

It seems to work fine in my spot plate. You often get shiny gold floating on top of the droplet of solution you are testing, as well as the purple color.

Latest posts

Back