Stannous Chloride Crystals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I purchased some stannous chloride crystals from ebay, made up several test solutions, either the stannous from ebay is a dud or I'm doing something wrong in mixing up the test solutions.

Question how would I go about testing my stannous to see if it's really what it's labeled as.

Here is my mix, 30 cc bottled water, 30 drops HCL, 1 gram stannous crystals with 1/2 gram tin.

Every batch of stannous test solution tested barren for gold, yet I have the 3/4 tr oz of gold recovered from e-scrap.

Lasersteve offered me tin, it's not the tin I need, I already have a 1 lb bar of pure tin. I need a way to confirm my stannous or purchase from a reliable source..

thanks all

Gill

Gill;

If there is nitric in your Au solution, the stannous won't read.

I don't know how to test stannous itself, but you can use the solid tin, and if that works the stannous is probably bad.

Drill the tin bar, and put some of the shavings into muriatic acid and heat until most of it dissolves. Or put the shavings in room temperature muriatic overnight.

Use a spot plate or a white plastic spoon. This will show when stains on a filter won't.

Once you get a stannous material that works, decide on a stannous formula and always make it the exact same way. That will make it easier for you to estimate approximate quantities in PMs solutions.

Don

I don't start with the crystals I put tin shot in straight HCL and put it on the warming plate. One batch I had forgot about and left it overnight. It wouldn't test against a known gold solution. I was going to get rid of it and start over, instead I added a few drops of chlorine bleach. I can't explain chemically why it worked but afterwards it tested just fine. :?:

Quest;

I think it's the water in the bleach, or the pH of it.

One time I evaporated an Au solution down, and since it didn't have any silver or lead in it, I didn't add any water. Well, the usual amount of SMB didn't do anything, and adding some more didn't either. So I started dribbling in some water, and it immediately turned a milk chocolate brown---like, pow!

Since stannous actually precipitates colloidal gold which has the purple color, it might be subject to the same parameters. I would think that it either needs water or a slightly higher pH, or both. Also, chlorine bleach is a base.

Don

Latest posts

Back