Stannous Chloride Reagent

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danogarvin123

Maryland for now. Hoping to do an Az relocate
A Newbie in chemical gold recovery and am getting ready for my 1st batch....actually my 2nd because my 1st was such a disaster that I hate to admit that it was such a failure..... I ordered stannous chloride...but seems I ordered a stannous chloride reagent...is this still usable to test for gold in solution? when I tested on my failure batch...I got no color change whatsoever...and the product has a high viscosity.... kind of like a light syrup......

Hoke explains how to make stannous chloride from the salt.

You can find a copy of Hoke in the Guided Tour link below.

Steve

Stannous chloride solution goes bad if it is not stored in an air tight bottle. Some plastic bottles allow air through the threads on the cap. I store my stannous chloride solution in a glass test tube with a ground joint and matching sized glass stopper. This could explain why your stannous is not working. The other possibility is that you do not have any values present. To confirm the stannous is good, you should use a 'standard solution' as discussed in Hoke.

Steve

Latest posts

Back