stannous chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbubba3

hello all need aa little hel with math if possible..trying to make stannous chloride test solution i have a recipe for 500ml i only want to make 15 ml in a test bottle. the mix i hae is 8g stannous to 500ml hydrochloric what would i need to make 15ml at the rate i am going 500ml would last me a life time and it has no shelf life any help would be appreciated thanks bob

Go get a little 8oz spool of solid tin wire at a local hardware store. I have a spool that will probably out live me. Its 95% tin 5% antimony. Cut a piece off about an inch long and put it in your HCL. Wait until there is no more reaction. Heat to speed up the process. With 15 ml it shouldnt be able to fully digest the entire wire which is good because you want to have undissolved tin in the solution to keep it fresh. If not keep adding half inch cuts until the solution wont dissolve anymore. Try to keep this solution in a glass stopper bottle or airtight jar of some sort. Dont worry about the black powder at the bottom of the solution. It wont hurt anything so there is no need to filter. Your solution should last indefinately if done like this.

goldenchild said:
Go get a little 8oz spool of solid tin wire at a local hardware store. I have a spool that will probably out live me. Its 95% tin 5% antimony. Cut a piece off about an inch long and put it in your HCL. Wait until there is no more reaction. Heat to speed up the process. With 15 ml it shouldnt be able to fully digest the entire wire which is good because you want to have undissolved tin in the solution to keep it fresh. If not keep adding half inch cuts until the solution wont dissolve anymore. Try to keep this solution in a glass stopper bottle or airtight jar of some sort. Dont worry about the black powder at the bottom of the solution. It wont hurt anything so there is no need to filter. Your solution should last indefinately if done like this.
thank you goldenchild for quick responce

goldenchild said:

hi. can i use 60/40 tin solder instead? i can't find any solid tin solder in my local hardware store? thanks.

hfywc said:
goldenchild said:

hi. can i use 60/40 tin solder instead? i can't find any solid tin solder in my local hardware store? thanks.

I don't think so unless you want to deal with the lead and I don't think you will want to do that. Harware store, plumbing supply store. You can find it because lead is not allowed to be used in plumbing for soldering copper pipes.

hfywc said:

Depends. What is the 40%? If its antimony it will work. You will just have alot more of the black moss on the bottom. If its not antimony just give it a try. If it turns out crystal clear its probably ok. Then test with a known solution and see if the color is what its supposed to be.

Here is a picture of my stannous. Notice the moss I speak of on the bottom and the piece of tin that was added after no more tin could be digested by the hcl. This method and solution derived from, has been extremely dependable for me.

DSC00411.JPG

I was having the same problem recently - but still had some StayBrite silver solder, the kind that comes in a roll in a plastic tube with a bottle of flux. (ditch the flux, for now) Palladium helped me to see it was ok to use (its about 96% tin, 5% silver) & how to make it, just like goldenchild described. Mine looks exactly like his, except for different bottle.

To check my product for ingredients, I googled the brand name plus the word "MSDS" (Material Safety Data Sheet) & was thus able to find exact ingredients. I'm sure you can do the same with what you're finding.

BTW - the purple is a beautiful sight, indeed.

good luck.
jordan

dtectr said:
I was having the same problem recently - but still had some StayBrite silver solder, the kind that comes in a roll in a plastic tube with a bottle of flux. (ditch the flux, for now) Palladium helped me to see it was ok to use (its about 96% tin, 5% silver) & how to make it, just like goldenchild described. Mine looks exactly like his, except for different bottle.

To check my product for ingredients, I googled the brand name plus the word "MSDS" (Material Safety Data Sheet) & was thus able to find exact ingredients. I'm sure you can do the same with what you're finding.

BTW - the purple is a beautiful sight, indeed.

good luck.
jordan

You're correct jordan. I should have talked more about the tin alloy content. As long as the other metal(s) in the alloy can't be digested by the HCLit will work. As you mentioned you had a silver tin alloy. Obviously since silver cant be digested by HCL it will settle to the bottom leaving the tin solution. Even if a bit of the silver were put onto the test swab it wouldnt affect the outcome because the silver is a solid. Thats why its ok to leave the metal at the bottom. Do you put an extra piece of solder into the solution after its supersaturated?

Interestingly enough, I have never got a positive test for gold showing up as purple. It is always a deep black with a hint of violet around the edges. I think this is because my solutions are always concentrated. I bet if i were to wash the swabs a bit it would turn purple.

I do, indeed. I think lazersteve mentioned in one post that it helps to keep it "fresh", & it sure seems to. basically i look in & if last chunk is mostly dissolved, i cut off another 1/2" & add it. Mine shows an oxidation layer that i rub off with my fingers (probably don't need to, but i have OCD)before i add it.

And yes, my solutions are pretty dilute at this point, so from violet to DARK purple. I'm SHOOTING for black w/a hint of purple :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back