stannous help needed please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondavids

Hi great forum , at a point now that i need to test for the presence of gold in my solution .I have not made any testing solution yet.Would it be okay to use a 40% tin - lead solder ? and should i just dissolve it in hydrochloric acid and filter it ?

Thanks in advance for advice.

leondavids said:
Hi great forum , at a point now that i need to test for the presence of gold in my solution .I have not made any testing solution yet.Would it be okay to use a 40% tin - lead solder ? and should i just dissolve it in hydrochloric acid and filter it ?

No on the 40% tin solder, look for solder that is at least 95% tin - lead free solder. The other 5% will be antimony and will not cause a problem, it will be black particles that can be filtered out.

Jim

jimdoc said:
leondavids said:

No on the 40% tin solder, look for solder that is at least 95% tin - lead free solder. The other 5% will be antimony and will not cause a problem, it will be black particles that can be filtered out.

Jim

Thanks Jim ,

Leon, try an electronics supply store & see if they have the proper tin/silver solder. Like Jim stated, try to get as high as possible tin % & with NO lead.

Here in the US we have Radio Shack, they sell 96%tin/4%silver solder wire & it has worked for me. Others have mentioned tin fishing weights...

Take care!

Phil

This works for me, I have stannous chloride crystals and I just put some crystals on what i want to test in my spot plate or filter paper and seems to work.
Keep it sealed and never have to worry about mixing anything

If this isn't the right way to do it someone can tell me why?

It's not the wrong way just a different way. Often on a piece of paper the subtle colors of PGM's develop and that may not be possible with a crystal of stannous chloride. Subtle changes can also be detected on a white spot plate. Possibly on the spot plate the crystal may work similarly.

philddreamer said:
Leon, try an electronics supply store & see if they have the proper tin/silver solder. Like Jim stated, try to get as high as possible tin % & with NO lead.

Here in the US we have Radio Shack, they sell 96%tin/4%silver solder wire & it has worked for me. Others have mentioned tin fishing weights...

Take care!

Phil
Thanks you all for you info , i found a school lab supply store that just has it all. Looks like heaven in this place and pretty cheap too.

Latest posts

Back