Stannous testing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger2

I know this question has probably been asked and answered many times but I have searched and can't find the answer. When testing A/P does the ph have to be close to neutral?
When testing a standard gold solution or A/R does the ph have to be neutral?

I have checked the testing section in hoke which seems to suggest that the standard solution does not require neutralizing.

Thanks

Stannous chloride test for precious metals are typically done in acid conditions.

Steve

we want acid as this is a chemical reaction, if neutralized the gold would most likely precipitate before solution was tested.

AuCl3 + SnCl2 + H2O --> SnO2 + Au + HCL
here the gold chloride solution tested with tin chloride (STANNOUS CHLORIDE), to make purple of casius, as tin oxide, elemental gold and hydrochloric acid.

there is also the test Harold has suggested using ferrous sulfate, another trick to keep in mind for the bag of tricks, here the Iron precipitates the gold as brown powder.

I found some Lead free - 97% tin, 3% copper
will this work for stannous test?
will the copper cause problems?
If so what is the best combination metal solder to buy?

95%tin/5% antimony works, I am not sure how copper would effect your test, at low percentage I am guessing it would stay in solution of test, and may not be much of a problem, try it on a known gold solution, and also try the 95%tin/5% antimony solder stannous chloride on same solution and compare results.

joem said:

Well right off top your going to have a blue to green tint in your stannous. With concentrated solutions that probably wont make much of a difference but with dilute solutions it might mess you up a bit. First solution that comes to mind would be palladium. The reason the tin and silver or tin and antimony alloys work so well is because only the tin is digested.

The reason the tin and silver or tin and antimony alloys work so well is because only the tin is digested.

Indeed. What you end up with when digesting 95/5 Sn/Sb solder is a Sb sediment that can then be filtered out and reconstituted back into solid antimony (for those collecting the elements :) )

goldenchild said:
joem said:

Well right off top your going to have a blue to green tint in your stannous. With concentrated solutions that probably wont make much of a difference but with dilute solutions it might mess you up a bit. First solution that comes to mind would be palladium. The reason the tin and silver or tin and antimony alloys work so well is because only the tin is digested.

Makes sense now that I think of it.
I don't want other colours in my learning rainbow.

Latest posts

Back