Starting processing Gold Plated Rose

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkmonte

Ok, Before anyone says anything, no this picture isn't a picture of my toilet. :)

I started processing my gold plated rose. I crushed up the rose into tiny pieces with a hammer and pliers, there was copper underneath with the gold on the copper and of course dead rose pieces. I put this in my copper 2 chloride solution with a bubbler and let it go for 3-4 days (it was very cold, some of the days was only 5-10 degrees F). I checked today and all the copper seems to be dissolved, all that is left is gold flakes and rose pieces (and dirt). I've included a picture of what I have below, I tried to wash the solution with some hydrochloric but wasn't sure if I was making any progress (like LaserSteve suggests in his videos). I've done a batch of fingers and I was able to get those flakes really clean, but this is alot different.

So my question, should I keep rinsing/washing/decanting/filtering and try and get as much rose and dirt from the gold now? Or assuming i've gotten all the copper out, should I just dissolve the gold with hydrochloric and bleach and then filter to get all the yuckers out of it? Realizing i'll definitely have to re-process/wash/rinse the gold powder I get if I want a better purity. ?

gold-soup.jpg

If it were me I would first filter then incinerate and rinse in nitric if you have it or you could boil in HCl. rinse with water, heat again to drive off acids. Hopefully you are left with only gold flakes then I would use your choice of gold dissolving technique.

Hope this helps

Eric

Latest posts

Back