stay brite silver solder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtectr

According to Spec sheet
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/pdf/spec/Solder/HARRIS_STAY_BRITE_SILVER_BEARING_SOLDER.pdf
stay-brite is 3.6-4.45 silver, remainder is tin. Solder is present as a filler, allowing sound solder joints on imperfectly matched joints. since silver melts at 961'C (1760' F) and tin melts at 232' C (449.5'F),
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melting-temperature-metals-d_860.html
could i obtain tin to be used for stannous solution by melting this solder to just melting point of tin & pouring it off, leaving small amount of contaminated silver behind?
i literally have NO money to purchase supplies, & I have many supplies left over from jewelry design & fab days.
Any suggestions welcome.
thanks to everyone for all your help so far, & with this question if possible.
jordan

If you dont have money for supplies then stannous chloride wont do anything for you anyway. Save the silver for refining at a later date. Take all the supplies you have from your design and fabrication days and sell them on Ebay or even better to members of the forum. You will at least need
money to ship the stuff out though. :roll: Then when you have the money start off small and work your way up like most of us did.

Good luck :p

Just use it as it is, the silver will form silver chloride with the HCl and ends up at the bottom as mud and shouldn't give you any problem.

You can't separate an alloy in it's parts by melting only part of it.... well, you could if you keep it barely melted at a temperature that will crystallize one of the metals. Old time silver mines used that process to separate silver from lead by keeping it just melted in large iron cauldrons for hours or days. But they couldn't get the last percent silver out of the lead.

By all practical means, if you have an alloy you can only separate it in it's parts by chemical methods.

/Göran

I think it would probably work for making stannous chloride, just as it is. I don't see how the silver would interfere unless it formed some silver chloride from the HCl and then turned purple from the light.

It would probably be better to dissolve the tin in the HCl and then filter out the silver metal and/or silver chloride. This should give you a fairly pure stannous chloride solution.

thanks so much to GSP & Göran! Some NY elitist replied too, but was too condescending to merit a response. i was planning on melting it & forming BB's for easier digestion by HCL. If not a good idea, please let me know.

And, really, thanks.
jordan

That's the same thing i use. I've got a 1 lb roll of it. Just cut you a piece a couple of inches long and drop it into 10-15 ml of hcl. Add a little heat and let it dissolve. Once it's dissolved there will be some black in the bottom. Just let it settle and draw off the liquid or filter it. Work great for me.

My favorite color use to be purple but today it's orange. 8)

Palladium said:
Work great for me.

I wound up with some strange colors yesterday, which is why i need the stannous.
I genuinely thank you, senor! i have some pix i will post when i come back from Roosevelt National Forest in CO (Ah! Nature, no people, panning black sands, (did i mention "no people"?)) of some of my attempts so far.

To all - i selected "print view" option of a lengthy & detailed thread & here's what appeared at the top:
"Gold Refining Forum.com"
"Hobbyists and Professionals Helping One Another"
And that is what this site is. I told my buddy what I was doing & the awesome help so many experienced people offer, and he asked, "What's their motivation for doing that?"
I think that header line says it all.
Sorry to go on & on.
Thanks to all.
Jordan

Palladium said:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5271&p=45030#p45030

dtectr said:
Could i obtain tin to be used for stannous solution by melting this solder to just melting point of tin & pouring it off, leaving small amount of contaminated silver behind?
So you'll know for future applications, no, you can't do that. Once you have alloyed various elements, they assume a new identity in that they melt at a compromised temperature. They achieve liquidus state at a uniform temperate. I think you'd find that the solder melts at a temperature well below that of silver, but liquid above that of tin. Or not. I'm not a metallurgist, but I believe that is referenced as the eutectic point (corrections welcomed).

Molten metals are strong solvents of other metals. Assuming you had pure tin and wanted to alloy with silver, it isn't necessary to melt the silver---it will be readily dissolved at a lower temperature by molten tin.

It is rare for one to be able to separate elements by heat alone. There are some that cooperate, but, for the most part, the idea of separating by stratification is not an acceptable process.

Harold

Latest posts

Back