Steps to achieve ones objective

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danogarvin123

Maryland for now. Hoping to do an Az relocate
Since venturing into this recovery/refining of PM's, reading the forum, Hokes book, collecting e-waste, learning the reactions, etc...it seems to me (at least for now) that the removal of all base metals...prior to an AR, AP etc bath is the objective in order to get clean gold in solution for dropping. Is it that simple (excluding of course all of the hazards of the process)? if my approach would be to get gold to a foil...wait until a decent amount has been collected/recovered and then AR it...would I be off course?

Congratulations, you have grasped one of the most important concepts in refining!

The AP process is actually one of the processes used to accomplish that. It is used to free the gold foils from fingers and sometimes to dissolve base metals from pins and similar material. Once base metals are eliminated, your gold can be dissolve in AR or HCl/Clorox.

It sounds like you're on the right course. Keep collecting and separating your materials as you continue your studies. You'll have your reward soon enough.

Dave

Sounds like your well on your way. I too am relatively new, reading a lot, have read hokes book twice, made a few trade deals here and there, and running my first batch of fingers this week, sitting in AP in a .99 cent coffee pot i picked up at goodwill. Also started pins and small bits of gold bearing material in a .99 cent coffee pot. both working away in my work shop. Ive collected material for a few years now. Now im in the process of pulling it all out of storage and breaking a lot of it down, still picking up stuff also. Having a lot of fun doing this as a hobby. Ive already clipped another three pounds of fingers. Need to pick up a bubbler to get them to work faster though. there working, but not very quick. have fun. tim

danogarvin123 said:
Since venturing into this recovery/refining of PM's, reading the forum, Hokes book, collecting e-waste, learning the reactions, etc...it seems to me (at least for now) that the removal of all base metals...prior to an AR, AP etc bath is the objective in order to get clean gold in solution for dropping. Is it that simple (excluding of course all of the hazards of the process)? if my approach would be to get gold to a foil...wait until a decent amount has been collected/recovered and then AR it...would I be off course?

No im all set there Dave. thanks though. tim

FrugalRefiner said:
ilikesilver said:
both working away in my work shop.
I hope there isn't anything of value in your shop. You'll find that the fumes will attack any metal in your shop, so tools and refining don't mix well.

Dave

Latest posts

Back