sterling rings

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuMINIMayhem

Hey guys.. I just got my hands on about four pounds of assorted sterling rings. They have no stones or anything like that. They're all stamped ".925" on the inside, but they don't "look" silver to me.. almost more of a "chrome" color..

Anyways, with this quantity, what proces would you recommend to refine these?

Should I melt them down and "shot" them or should I go with them "as is" they're rather thin and light.. almost like they would be "cheap" jewelry.

Thanks again,
Derek

GSP could well be right, I have heard of rhodium flashed silver but not seen it.

If these are from a jewelry manufacturer as rejects or overstock it would not surprise me they look chromed. I have run jewelry manufacturer scrap that can be brilliant, remember silvers use for mirrors in days gone by.

If it is rhodium, it will only be a few micro" thick, like 5 or less. Don't start counting your money yet. If Rh is there, it will show up as bright shiny slivers after the nitric.

goldsilverpro said:
Don't start counting your money yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah.. unless there was a substantial amount of Rh it would actually be a pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned. Because then it would be like "awww damn.. now I gotta pt this stuff aside until I have enough to make it worth refining both the Rh and the Ag.."

so anyways, forgetting Rh for the moment and going back to the original question.. should I go the acid route or the electro-cell route for refining the Ag?.. I'm leaning toward the acid route since I already have the supplies. Also, should I shot it, press it in the arbor press and make it thin or can the rings go in "as is".. the thickest rings are only about 75 mil thick ( 0.075") from what I could measure with my mics..

I think I would go the acid route, since it seems like it would be simpler for you. Also, if there is Rh, you would likely lose it somehow if you melt to form shot or to cast cell bars. By dissolving, you would get the small amount of Rh in the filter. What you would then do with the Rh is another problem.

Try the process on 1 (or, 3 or 4) ring first. I'm very big on looking before you leap.

If it is sterling (and it probably is), it should dissolve in nitric very quickly without shotting. You might consider 4metals procedure for producing pure silver. It sounded pretty slick and simple to me. He claims 999.9 on the process. Even if you only got 999 or 999.5, it would still be a lot purer than cementing on copper. You could form AgCl and reduce it, but that procedure is often fraught with problems. Here's the thread. Read all of 4metals posts on it.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1275&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

To dissolve four pounds of sterling, it will theoretically take about 2.6 liters of concentrated nitric plus an equal amount of distilled water. In practice, it usually takes a bit more. Were it me, after proving that it is silver and that there is no problem dissolving it, I would:

(1) Put the 4# in a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

(2) Pre-measure the nitric and the water.

(3) Cover the silver with some of the water, about 1/2" above the silver.

(4) Under a hood, add some of the nitric - maybe about 1/4 to 1/2 liter. It should quickly start fizzing. Allow it to work until the reaction slows down. Give it a gentile stir, occasionally. Add more nitric and repeat. If it goes too fast, add more water. The object is to add the nitric as fast as possible with no foamovers. When all the nitric and water are in (maybe 30 or 40 minutes later), stir it well, cover it, and let it work overnight, preferably not in a cold area. Make sure all of the water was added or the solution may crystallize when it cools.

(5) By morning, all of the nitric should be used up and all, or most, of the silver dissolved. Let it settle and decant or siphon off the solution. If there is only a little silver remaining, dissolve it in a minimum amount of 50/50 nitric. If there's a lot of silver remaining (there shouldn't be), there will also be a lot of free nitric remaining. You may have to put the same acid back on the silver and heat it. I have run 100s of lots of sterling and contact points using the above procedure and it was always ready, except for a little undissolved silver, in the morning.

(6) Filter and recover the silver with one of the above methods.

If you have problems dissolving, try preheating the water. You should have no problems, though, starting at room temp. The reaction will generate heat.

Something I just thought of. The manufacturer may have put lacquer on the rings to prevent tarnishing. If so, you will find this out when you try to dissolve a few samples. You may have to incinerate first.

I agree heartily with everything I've read, but I think one more angle should be considered. If you are prone to processing karat gold, the sterling rings are perfect for the purpose of inquartation. It makes far more sense to process them with a purpose in mind than to process them just to process them. That, of course, is my logic, and I had a steady flow of karat gold.

Regards the potential rhodium plating----even if it is recovered, I agree, there is no market for traces. There was a time when rhodium was used to plate sterling, which kept it from tarnishing. I expect that is no longer the case, due in part to its recent pricing.

If it matters, I processed for many years, and accumulated only a few grains of rhodium, so unless you process rhodium bearing materials on a regular basis, it's highly unlikely that you will see much more.

Luck with the silver!

Harold

thanks guys.. I totally agree with Herald, I don't think even if there is Rh plating it would even be worth bothering with, besides, it's not like it's $5300/Ozt anymore... *sigh* :)

I had thought of keeping the Sterling for inqaurtation, I may actualy set aside a pound of it for down the road, but I really very rarely come across Karated gold, at least not in the kinds of quantities to justify holding onto a bunch of silver, but I do want to set soem aside, just in case ;)

Plus, I've never "refined" silver and I'd like to do the process, just one more thing to learn. I'm a bit of a junkie when it comes to information (translation: "geek" :lol: ).

Thanks again for all the help, now that I have access to a reliable card reader and a decent camera I can start posting pics up. yay!

Derek

Back