Stink bug contamination

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber

What would you do? I had a nice batch going of multi cell cleanouts. Washed and processed and ready for the AR process. I got busy at work and left the beaker after my last rinse and the remaining rinse water evaporated. Now I'm ready to continue and a stink bug fell in apparently while there was still some moisture. He is dead and stuck in the dried mud. If I pull him out, his legs will still be there. I'm considering doing that and continuing to AR. Just thought I'd check on to see if I should go back a half step and rinse him free first and wash off his legs. Thanks.

Move forward! What's left will come out in the filter.
I guess if you have to go that's not a bad way to go! I figure one day they will find me face down in a silver cell anyway! :mrgreen:

I found a frog (species unknown) in my one of my jars over summer.
Something of mixed emotions; as sad as it was to have to fish him out, I was delighted to find that my environment is a suitable habitat.

First frog seen on my property in fifteen years is one I've killed with cupric chloride.

Thanks for the reply and especially the humor. Sorry to hear about the frog. I think I'll cover jars with a screen in the future to keep out large debris but still allow for evaporation. I hope to post my next button soon!

I found what was left of a large rat in a bucket of used sodium hydroxide that I had put aside to neutralize. there wasn't much left put a blob of rat jelly.

An insect won't harm you anywhere in any process. It will either dissolve in one of the acid baths or be burned off in the final melt. I remember a carpenter ant fell into my nitric distillation rig when adding the sodium nitrate and sulfuric. Rather than disconnecting hoses and moving stuff around I simply left it in the reaction vessel. Let's just say you would never have the slightest idea there was ever an ant in the system.

Latest posts

Back