Storing Au powder after dropping from AuCl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsonland

Hi,
I had 1.5 oz before the last drop and kept it in a little plastic jar I had. I'm not sure the type but it didn't stick to the inside.
I now have 3.5 ounces of gold power dropped from AuCl.
I have it wrapped up in waxed paper because the larger plastic container I found, when I put some powder in it, it stuck to the side and is almost impossible to clean out. A thin dusting is all over the inside wall. I am going to cut up the container and add it to my next AuCl run

I am going to wash it all the powered again and re-disolve into AuCl for extra purity later after I drop the rest.

What type of container is best to store gold powder?

Thanks in advance

lawsonland said:
I have it wrapped up in waxed paper because the larger plastic container I found, when I put some powder in it, it stuck to the side and is almost impossible to clean out. A thin dusting is all over the inside wall.

This is most likely due to static electricity holding the tiny particles of gold.

Glass wouldn't be a good call for storing the gold powder, the problem with glass is that if it gets dropped your gold will be scattered, plastic will not break if you drop it, but the top could come off and spill the contents or the contents could 'stick' to the container as you have experienced.
Personally I wouldn't store gold in the powder form, I realise you intend to re-refine it for better purity, but I think that should be done after the first drop and wash cycle.
Buttons or bars are probably the best way to store your gold, What container to use? Hopefully a bank vault! :lol:

butcher said:
I like glass for powders until I am ready to melt.
and I would not trust a bank or vault for my metal gold, I bury it. :lol:

Hope you don't have gangster gophers around, I heard they love when people bury their gold.

Jim

Gold, when properly washed after precipitation, will generally not cling to glass. When it does, it's because it comes down dirty, and refuses to agglomerate when being washed. Gold of that description, for me, was the very gold that got melted and used as my added gold in the evaporation process, so it saw a third refining in a round-about way.

Gold that was refined a second time clumped up such that the clumps could be easily handled.

I would avoid storing gold wet, if for no other reason, it can't be weighed. Otherwise, no harm. If you store gold until it can be refined a second time, there's nothing wrong with using glass. It rinses perfectly well with a wash bottle, so fine traces that stick to the sides are readily removed.

Harold

Latest posts

Back