straining liquids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robkat

I am new here, one day old and I am going crazy in the archives. What great stuff posted by knowledgable people. But here is my tip and it was probably already covered.

Years ago when I was involved in stripping PC cards (acid), I would syphon the liquid through a stainless steel mesh. The stainless steel mesh is available in the silk screen industry and it is very fine, so fine that I doubt that any flakes or dust is passing through.

This silk screen stainless mesh was used for silk screening the images on PC stock. Very fine mesh for fine line and tight registration. This stuff is not expensive and a 3' x 3' piece of 1000 mesh will last you forever.

Nitric is the only acid that wouldn't eat the stainless. I assume that's what you were using. None of the gold went through? Did any powder go through?

goldsilverpro said:
Nitric is the only acid that wouldn't eat the stainless. I assume that's what you were using. None of the gold went through? Did any powder go through?

Wow, I told you that I was new here. Very estute observation and yes to the nitric. I did not consider other acids and was assuming that stainless was acid resistant. Not the case I see.

The 1000 mesh seemed to catch everything even dust of an unknown particle size. What escaped beyond that is unknown to me.

Time to sit back and read more before I open my mouth. Thanks for the heads up post.

Bob k

Robkat said:
Time to sit back and read more before I open my mouth

Bob,

Your tip on a source of inexpensive finely woven stainless mesh could be very useful to many members. Even the most advanced here are still learning new things.

you did right to talk. many people did not ask and believe that what they know is the truth. sometimes it is not and to ask questions is the way how we are learning. i was convinced about some things before too. when i asked about i was told what is right and where i was wrong. we do not tend to laugh from others as everyone here can contribute with his informations to others. that is why this forum is the best.

just bought a coffee press from a garage sale, not sure what kind of coffee they made with it or even if it will work or not., I will need to test the plastic screen for resistance to acids,jar is glass and see through, and can cut filter paper to fit fairly tight if needed, I will try it out and see if it can help me out any.

Latest posts

Back