Strange looking button gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arisas

It is gold alright i put it inside a Nitric Acid diluted with water and i had a few bubles for the first minutes but after that nothing until today after 24 hours past the stone turn from greenish to goldish tomorow i upload a picture of it after i filter it

Attachments

• SAM_3742.JPG
    SAM_3742.JPG
    4.9 MB
  • SAM_3743.JPG
    SAM_3743.JPG
    5.5 MB
Geo, his profile indicates he is from Greece. He is trying hard, but evidently does not write English well.

Arisas, your written English is very difficult for some to understand. Please try some of the various translation programs available. Doing so may help you to be better understood by those who can help you.

sometimes i write english and think greek my fault,
What i meant to ask was that my little stone after the melting process i dump it into a glass container full of tap water and the texture it took is that in the pictures, why it has these green parts ?

It is not very pure. Different base metals color gold in different hues. From wiki :
Green gold
Further information: Electrum
Green gold was known to Lydians as long ago as 860 BC under the name electrum, a naturally-occurring alloy of silver and gold.[3] It actually appears as greenish-yellow rather than green. Fired enamels adhere better to these alloys.

Cadmium can also be added to gold alloys but there are health concerns regarding its use.[6] The alloy of 75% gold, 23% copper, and 2% cadmium yields light-green 18-karat gold. The alloy of 75% gold, 15% silver, 6% copper, and 4% cadmium yields a dark-green alloy,

no wonder why the green marking dissolved after the nitric acid was added to the button, thanks for the Knowledge Geo

Geo said:
It is not very pure. Different base metals color gold in different hues. From wiki :
Green gold
Further information: Electrum
Green gold was known to Lydians as long ago as 860 BC under the name electrum, a naturally-occurring alloy of silver and gold.[3] It actually appears as greenish-yellow rather than green. Fired enamels adhere better to these alloys.

Cadmium can also be added to gold alloys but there are health concerns regarding its use.[6] The alloy of 75% gold, 23% copper, and 2% cadmium yields light-green 18-karat gold. The alloy of 75% gold, 15% silver, 6% copper, and 4% cadmium yields a dark-green alloy,
Greetings Geo. He also helped me when I started to use translators. Now I have a lot less problems with translations. You are a great man Geo!

I've experimented with making different color golds. Not nearly as easy as it sounds. The base metals used to make the different colors are tough to keep from going up into the ether. How do you suppose one goes about making a green gold such as this?

https://wanelo.com/p/31725316/classic-14k-green-gold-three-stone-black-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring-wedding-ring-r200-14kggbd

goldenchild said:
I've experimented with making different color golds. Not nearly as easy as it sounds. The base metals used to make the different colors are tough to keep from going up into the ether. How do you suppose one goes about making a green gold such as this?

https://wanelo.com/p/31725316/classic-14k-green-gold-three-stone-black-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring-wedding-ring-r200-14kggbd
Looks more like a computer rendering than a real photo. Just look at the engraving inside the ring.

Göran

Computer trickery? Perhaps. But are these phonies as well?

Purple
http://www.preciousmetalswest.com/blog/?p=263

Purple, Blue, Black
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/9.html

Mario is right - there are some very interesting "colors" of "karat" gold that can be made by using different metals other then the conventional metals of copper, silver, nickel or PGMs

Do a search using "colored gold" as your key words

Kurt

There were a ring with details in green gold in the second link. It was a lot paler than the first ring. Some of the objects were colored by oxidizing the alloying metal on the surface, the blue and black seemed to be done that way, the text was a bit ambiguous on the details.

Purple gold with aluminum is one of my favorites.

Göran

Latest posts

Back