Strange Reaction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomehock

I am new to the refining process and have been using "Gold filled jewelry" to process using the AR process. After dissolving completely in the Nitric Acid, I am using Shor's sub Zero material, the solution is heavy with a dark green color, presumably from copper. There is a large amount of Copper, due to the fact that I am dissolving 19 oz of base metal to get 1 oz of gold. First I neutralized the excess nitric acid with Urea, then used the precipitant to "drop" the gold from solution, creating a brown residue on the bottom of the container. I decanted the excess solution after "dropping" and then treated with ammonia. The last two attempts have created a "milky" floating material in the solution that reacted with the gold residue. I continued to further wash the residue with water until left with only the brown residue then dried it. My problem is that this residue doesn't eventually melt down to gold when put into a crucible, it burns to a black residue rather than turning into gold. What reaction have I created? I ran the process again and again ran into this problem, getting a light brown "mud", rather than a granular darker brown residual. I took the light brown mud and redissolved it with Nitric and the solution tested positive for gold, but does not drop out of solution when the nitric acid is neutralized and precipitated. It seems that the gold ions have bonded into some other form than Gold Chloride and will not drop out. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks Tomehock

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

There is nothing strange about having trouble processing gold filled directly in one shot with AR. There are methods discussed on the forum that do work and are far less problematic.

Sub zero is not proper nitric acid and is not a suitable substitute. What were the instructions you followed?

I think you should put this safely aside and perhaps buy Lazersteve's video on processing gold filled.

If your solution wasn't hot when you used urea, then you were fooled and the nitric acid is still in the solution. Use borax when you melt to absorb the base metal oxides and allow the gold to melt together.

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the subzero as I am unable to find nitric acid here locally. I have about 2 ounces of dark brown participate that I am unsure of its composition. How can I determine what I have?

Tomehock said:
Thanks for the reply. I have been using the subzero as I am unable to find nitric acid here locally. I have about 2 ounces of dark brown participate that I am unsure of its composition. How can I determine what I have?

With stannous chloride test.

It sounds to me like, you are making salts of gold powders and other base metals, and when trying to melt these dirty salts they are just fuse back into syrup as the acid (that formed the salt with the metal) is trying to escape as gases. Problem is some salts like chlorides can make silver or gold salts volatile in the fumes.

It sounds to me; you are not trying to melt elemental gold powder but salts of gold and base metals.

You can have sulfates from the (homemade nitric subzero) and salts of the other acids and metals you used, or had involved in the process.

I also believe gold fill could have a wide range of base metals.

butcher said:
It sounds to me like, you are making salts of gold powders and other base metals, and when trying to melt these dirty salts they are just fuse back into syrup as the acid (that formed the salt with the metal) is trying to escape as gases. Problem is some salts like chlorides can make silver or gold salts volatile in the fumes.

It sounds to me; you are not trying to melt elemental gold powder but salts of gold and base metals.

You can have sulfates from the (homemade nitric subzero) and salts of the other acids and metals you used, or had involved in the process.

I also believe gold fill could have a wide range of base metals.

I think what he is doing is trying to precipitate gold from Nitric if reading his post carefully. There is no mention in his post about HCl.

Tomehock, did you dissolve metal leftovers after treatment with Nitric in 3 Part HCl+1 Part HNO3 and 1 part H20 solution?

Latest posts

Back