stripper cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seawolf

I have read many of the posts and I have stripped severl pounds of pins and other things. today I went to filter the mud from the bottom of the cell. I have a four inch bucner funnel and used 6 coffee filters as shown in lazersteves slide show. I did not dilute the acid and now the filters are stopped up and falling apart. I know the AU is not lost as I will not toss any thing out. the acid is a deep coffee color that has came through the filter. Is this normal? Do I pour the mud back into the cell and start over? A little help please.
Mark

You should have diluted the acid before you tried to filter it. That's why it ate your filters. Dilute it and refilter.

Here's how Steve wrote it up.

Your pitcher will melt if you don't do this slowly. I recommend placing the pitcher in a large wash tub in case it melts!

Add 6 cups of water to a gallon pitcher.

SLOWLY add 1/2 of the cell contents to the pitcher, THIS gets hot very quickly so take your time! Add 2 more cups of water to the pitcher to speed the cooling process.

Let the pitcher cool.

SLOWLY add the remaining liquid from the cell. Letting the pitcher cool periodically.

Rinse the cell into the pitcher with one cup of distilled water.

Rinse the cell into the pitcher with another cup of distilled water.

Let the pitcher settle overnight.

Steve

Thanks. I rinsed all of the mud through the filter into a coffeepot and I will let it cool then divide again to get the mix ratio right and try to filter again tomorrow.
Mark

I whould let your solution set and let material settle to the bottom and then siphon off the acid without diluting it and then was what settles in water let it settle and siphon off again. I would repeat this till you have no color change in yor water. If you do want to filter it use some fiberglass insultaion in a funnel to act as a filter. The acid will not eat the glass up like it will paper.

lazersteve said:
Here's my newest way to handle the black powder from the cell, forget the slide show, I need to delete it:

Black Powder from the Cell

No filters, no fuss, just rinse, settle, repeat, and refine.

Steve

This is how I've been doing it for quite a while. I also do this with first refined gold. This will work with just about any process that involves some kind of liquid waste.

Latest posts

Back