strong violet (pink) liquid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

when i heat cellphone scrap(small smd,solder and tiny ic)with hcl,i obtain a violet liquid,the same collor as when i test gold with stanous chloride and gives positive for gold-- i pour this liquid to another beaker and add more water to the scrap,until the liquid becomes colourless----the scrap now has no tin(or very small quantity)----to the scrap i add ar and i obtain pd , au in the liquid and agcl in the filter-------- the violet liquid,i let it settle and in the botton i obtain a brown mass ----this brown mass(sno2,sncl2? ,is treated with ar,and normally i obtain some gold----the liquid remains violet(pink) and i suspect that is coloidal gold----if so, how could obtain gold from this coloidal solution? or all the gold is in the settled mud(sno2,sncl2)?----please ,coment and help
Arthur
ps---a sncl2 solution is a colourless (water like or cloudy)solution------

Arthur the mud from the hydrochloric treatment may benefit from drying and incineration and a second hot hydrochloric wash and then filtered to collect the gold flakes.I suspect that the gold is attached to the solder and is released when you dissolve the tin away and then becomes colloidal when you introduce AR.

thanks nickvc---i will dry and incinerate the mud------but the coloidal gold (pink liquid) that i suspect is a colloidal gold solution---was formed by hcl boiling and not with ar-----the ar was used in the scrap after the hcl boiling-----and in the mud that you sugested to dry and incinerate
regards
Arthur

ps:i studied in England 50years ago--Brighton-------
regards again

Arthur

You get the same purple/pink liquid when pretreating MLCC:s by dissolving the tin in HCl. I think the consensus was that in that case it came from dissolved cobalt or nickel.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14661&start=20

If you add a drop of bleach to a sample of your pink HCl solution it should be enough to turn it into gold chloride if it is colloidal gold. If it doesn't then it is probably something else.
I advise that you don't do this test with nitric so you don't mess with the tin that is dissolved.

Another way to test is to use a piece of filter paper and let some of the solution dry on it. You should get a purple stain as the solution dries. Then add some water to it, if it is a water soluble compound then it will just go back into solution without much trouble, while colloidal gold that has dried up will be really hard to remove, just look at all purple stains you get on various plastics used in refining. (I've got a plastic funnel with purple spots on and even in the sink on the china I get some spots that I need to rub to get off.)

Göran

I love purple! Your right thought, every bucket (plastic) i have as well as my stainless cook pots, my pyroceram, my edges of my buchner, the cardboard around my work area, you would be surprised just how much splatter and contact their is. Purple on my test papers, purple on my old filters, purple stains on my fingers. Man i love purple! :mrgreen:

Could also be rhodium, knowing you! Little bit goes a long way in making pink liquid!

Or cobalt aqua ions...

Lou,this pink solution comes from cellphone scrapped board----solder,very small black chips,very small metalic ic--the other components, normal black chips ,gold plated components are separated by hand----by the answers that i got and reading the forum,i deduced that it might be cobalt salts,and coloidal gold----RH ,would be very good--but i doubt it----but i will find out----
thanks and regards
Arthur

the pink(purple) liquid , after staying for more then 24hours in a bucket,became green in collor----some brownish powder,settled in the botton of the bucket----so i gave a false alarm----now i am going to go after Axelson sugestion of drying and incinerating this powder and using ar to see if gold is present
thanks all for the help and sugestions
Arthur

Latest posts

Back