Substitute for SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datto666

Hi Everyone im new here
Finding it hard to buy SMB just googled around and wiki says Campden tablets used in beer and wine is manly SMB.
Do you think this would work in Aqua Regia ?

do look on the msds for your tablet.
if you cannot use smb ,im curently out and i use home made copperas with what i think is good result.could be an option for you

Thanks for you quick reply
It looks as thought the Camden Tablets are manly made up of SMB (which can be bought in Tesco here in Ireland) but what i would like to know if the other stuff in the tablet would affect the Aqua Regia process
im new at this only reading 3 weeks now , home made copperas ??

copperas is ferrous sulfate (home made copperas = iron dissolve in dilute sulfuric acid)
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14026&p=167716&hilit=copperas#p167716

martyn111 said:
Do you have any wine making or home brew suppliers in your area?
SMB is used as a sterilising agent for brewing equipment.

Hi martyn
The "Camden tablets" is what the homebrew shop sells as sterlising agent i google this and wiki says it manly made up of SMB.
Must be the choice if your using sterilising agent for brewing equipment

datto666 said:
martyn111 said:
Do you have any wine making or home brew suppliers in your area?
SMB is used as a sterilising agent for brewing equipment.

Hi martyn
The "Camden tablets" is what the homebrew shop sells as sterlising agent i google this and wiki says it manly made up of SMB.
Must be the choice if your using sterilising agent for brewing equipment

I suggested the brew shop because thats where I get my SMB from. It comes in powder form, labeled as sodium metabisulphite, so I would assume that your brew shop could have a supplier able to supply it in this form.

Hi everyone!
I worked a couple times doing floor repairs at the Thele tannery in Millwaukee,wi. They have like 100pound sacks of smb stacked to the ceiling. They must use it durring tanning leather so if there is a tannery near you, they may be a possible source of smb.
artart47

Latest posts

Back