Sulfurdioxide, sodium sulfite, sodium-meta-bisulfite

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard36 said:
Oz said:
You could also just make your own copperas with some battery acid and low carbon iron laminates. I think Butcher wrote a rather thorough description of how he makes his.

I made mine by using 1 part Sulfuric Acid to 15 parts distilled water, and a couple 16 penny nails.
It took about 4 days for the Iron to completely dissolve, and produce the green crystals.
I then filtered the solution to recover the copper sulfate, and dried it.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Sincerely, Rick. "The Rock Man".

That is interesting how did you get copper out of iron?

Barren Realms 007 said:
You don’t. It is just one of those old quirky words that make you wonder why they called it copperas of all things. It is actually iron sulfate.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Richard36 said:
Oz said:
You could also just make your own copperas with some battery acid and low carbon iron laminates. I think Butcher wrote a rather thorough description of how he makes his.

I made mine by using 1 part Sulfuric Acid to 15 parts distilled water, and a couple 16 penny nails.
It took about 4 days for the Iron to completely dissolve, and produce the green crystals.
I then filtered the solution to recover the copper sulfate, and dried it.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Lol!!! That's funny! Copperas, Copper, my mistake, Duh!!!!
I meant Iron Sulfate.

You're all welcome for the laugh.

shyknee said:
shyknee said:
can sodium-hydrogensulfite precipitate gold directly.
If so I stumbled onto a source of cheap and readily available sodium-hydrogensulfite
I have not tried it yet (I seek approval first)
I just realized I need to reword .
I meant to ask If sodium-hydrosulfite (Sodium dithionite) can be used.

cool video Irons

Thanks, I thought it was pretty neat. It goes to prove that, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. SO2 is so easy to make, just by burning sulfur, that, other than convenience, it's the cheapest way to go.
I read somewhere that some companies that use large volumes of SO2 have gone to generation on site, rather than dealing with the cost and hazards of shipment and storage of liquefied SO2..

Sodium thiosulfate, can be made boiling sodium sulfite Na2SO3 and sulfur together, Na2S2O3 sodium thiosulfate is used in photography to dissolve unreacted silver halide from film.

Sodium thiosulfate is also used to leach gold and silver from ores. Usually as ammonium thiosulfate and copper sulfate basic PH.

From what I understand cementation is used or electrolisis to recover silver, and I wonder on effieciency from what I have studied.

There is also a patent on recovery of silver using sodium hydrogen sulfide and regenerating the thiosulfate for reuse in photography.

winterssoul said:
Harold_V said:
winterssoul said:
I can't find any other precipitants except the metals that hoke's described
Check with garden supplies for ferrous sulfate. The container is likely to be marked simply as iron (for plants). So long as the crystals are green, they'll work just fine.
By the way, in case you didn't make the connecton, ferrous sulfate is copperas, as noted in Hoke's book.

Harold

Yup I did a detailed search of the places that I could think about but they either didn't know what I was talking about (I used both names) or they just didn't have it but ill keep looking around

yup thanks again but i found an industrial raw material chemical supplier that sells a 50lb bag of sodium metabisulfite (i stressed the spelling to them) for under $5000 jmd(a little over 50 dollars but i haven't been able to pick up this bag yet i also checked out a school lab supplier which sells it for $2750 Jamaican dollars for 500g of the stuff

Back