Sulfuric cell question about the copper mesh.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virothisk

I ran my sulfuric cell for an hour or so today using copper mesh and a lead bar. Worked great! One problem though, the sulfuric acid kept eating the copper mesh. The acid is 98% concentrated sulfuric acid - So I am not sure why it's eating it up.

So here's the question. Could I simply dump all my pins into the acid, and hook up a few pieces of copper and run the cell that way? Obviously I'd have to filter them out but that's not a big deal. Or does the plated material have to be resting on copper for it to work, for some reason? I am kind of under the impression that the mesh basket is simply to remove the pins after deplating.

Thanks!
V

Two questions for you to answer.
Did the cell get hot?
Did you use new acid or had you let it stand uncovered?
Both could cause the problem you have encountered.

Yes the cell got hot, warm to the touch through the pyrex.

Completely new acid. I keep the acid covered to keep any water out.

Based on your line of questioning, when the cell gets hot is it more likely to dissolve the copper? I'll need to make a ice water bath next time.

My real burning question though is whether or not I can take some copper wire, like 15 thick strands and put it on the bottom of the cell, then pour the pins over it. Then pour the acid in. then connect up the leads. In this scenario not all pins would be in contact with the copper, but they would be in contact with other pins that are in contact with the copper. Would this force the proper reaction?

Thanks!
V

Latest posts

Back