Sulphuric acid from auto store

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeyc118

Can anyone give me any info on sulphuric acid purchased from an auto parts store? I just learned that they sell it so naturally I bought it. It doesn’t say the % and I am aware that it is used to remove any lead from solution. I have not researched the process for gold refining using it so I am also curious if it would replace nitric and if it is worth the research.

Can anyone give me any info on sulphuric acid purchased from an auto parts store? I just learned that they sell it so naturally I bought it. It doesn’t say the % and I am aware that it is used to remove any lead from solution. I have not researched the process for gold refining using it so I am also curious if it would replace nitric and if it is worth the research.

If I remember right, I think battery electrolyte is around 35%. If you are just using it to drop lead, then I think it would still work.

No, it can't replace nitric acid.

We have mainly three uses of Sulfuric acid in recovery and refining.
1. Drop Lead from leach solutions, a couple of drops to a ml or so each time. Practically any strength.
2. Convert AgCl to Ag with Iron Sulfuric method. Dilute, appr 10% strength.
3. Sulfuric stripping Cell. Full strength preferably 96-98% but any over 90 will do.

Auto part store acid aka battery acid is as Dave said around 35-40% and can be used for the two first.

So, what is your plans on refining?

Another every usefull way to use H2SO4: convert copper nitrate to copper sulfate and nitric acid. It does not have to be concentrated for this purpose.

Here it's 30% acid 70% distilled water or so. You can get that up to 98% by slowly heating it to boil off the water part. IF you need it that pure.

But you need to be very careful of that. Hot H2SO4 is very, very dangerous.

If you need a more concentrated sulfuric acid, there's several Ace hardware stores in Boise. They sell 2 different drain cleaners (at least here in Fl) that is strong enough to make nitric acid. But I highly suggest doing research/study first, room temperature concentrated sulfuric acid is bad enough....but the hotter you get it, the more of a monster it becomes....that is not an exaggeration.

169520a4-23b7-4cfd-97ae-e1c373f0915f.jpg050499d9-5477-4ee0-b8e6-7561cd82fe39.jpg

So, what is your plans on refining?
Well overall just a few plans. Find out where all my gold went. I’m thinking either my “stock pots” If we want to call them that or maybe buried in some crucibles.
See I prefer to continually make every mistake when learning something new 😑
Next, I’m just frustrated that the more I learn the more I realize I don’t know and I can’t have that.
Then I’d like to finish out these older telecom boards that I got but so far I’m negative a little of my own gold

Here it's 30% acid 70% distilled water or so. You can get that up to 98% by slowly heating it to boil off the water part. IF you need it that pure.

But you need to be very careful of that. Hot H2SO4 is very, very dangerous.
Well obviously I’m doing that now. Haha :)

If you need a more concentrated sulfuric acid, there's several Ace hardware stores in Boise. They sell 2 different drain cleaners (at least here in Fl) that is strong enough to make nitric acid. But I highly suggest doing research/study first, room temperature concentrated sulfuric acid is bad enough....but the hotter you get it, the more of a monster it becomes....that is not an exaggeration.

View attachment 57588View attachment 57589
That is great info. Thank you very much

You do not want to see white smoke come off of sulfuric acid. Even a slight breath of that smoke can completely ruin your lungs.

I put 100 ml into my drain. The Zep 98% stuff. Cleaned the drain really well, but had to flush it after about 5 minutes, due to the reek of the Sulphur. Open all windows before hand, if you clean out your drain. I bought it at Home Depot.

Not sure, but I wouldn’t risk it. That smoke is pure sulfuric that will reform into an acid at contact with any moisture. That includes mouth, nose, sinus cavities and lungs and throat.

I put 100 ml into my drain. The Zep 98% stuff. Cleaned the drain really well, but had to flush it after about 5 minutes, due to the reek of the Sulphur. Open all windows before hand, if you clean out your drain. I bought it at Home Depot.

Do you have a picture of the bottle.

All the Zep products at my local Home depot according to the SDS was Sodium hydroxide or something else. It would be nice to know of another alternative source for sulfuric acid.

Latest posts

Back