Supporting membership-free speech included?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heathenmojo

I have received several messages and suggestion to pony up some $ and become a supporting member. I have also received a message that my post was censored-edited. and if I continue making off handed political comments I will become banned from this page. Mind you I have stated no affiliation with any political party, as I have none, so I'm not sure how my jokes about the pandemic procedures were construed as POLITICAL, but so be it. I'm a huge fan of the United States Constitution and especially the free speech granted to us by our first Amendment. I have been repeatedly banned from far more popular platforms for refusing to speak as others prefer me to speak, I'm not about to cower down now. My question, is free speech on this platform included with a paid membership? My second question, is this platform owned and operated by Americans? I do indeed support the United States Constitution which men have fought and died for, those whom censor free speech, eh not so much.

I have received several messages and suggestion to pony up some $ and become a supporting member. I have also received a message that my post was censored-edited. and if I continue making off handed political comments I will become banned from this page. Mind you I have stated no affiliation with any political party, as I have none, so I'm not sure how my jokes about the pandemic procedures were construed as POLITICAL, but so be it. I'm a huge fan of the United States Constitution and especially the free speech granted to us by our first Amendment. I have been repeatedly banned from far more popular platforms for refusing to speak as others prefer me to speak, I'm not about to cower down now. My question, is free speech on this platform included with a paid membership? My second question, is this platform owned and operated by Americans? I do indeed support the United States Constitution which men have fought and died for, those whom censor free speech, eh not so much.
This forum is for the time being owned and run from the US I believe.
But since it is a private forum we pretty much decide the rules herein.
Our rules are simple and included in my welcome links, the Library and more.
We do not allow Political or Religious discussions, not as an attack on free speech but to avoid distractions from the topic this forum is about.

The following paragraph was taken from the Forum rules.

“We expect readers to be on their best behavior, thus avoiding confrontations that take energy away from the topics at hand, and to avoid losing good and valuable members. This includes not posting about religion, politics, explosives, potentially illegal activities, or other subjects that could divide members of the forum. They simply create unnecessary and unwanted distractions away from the purpose of this forum - the recovery and refining of precious metals. Understand that accessing the forum is a privilege, not a right, and can be terminated for failure to adhere to board policy.”

In short, most topics that may cause a rift between members, therefore detracting from the purpose of the forum, are forbidden.

Time for more coffee.

My question, is free speech on this platform included with a paid membership? My second question, is this platform owned and operated by Americans?

If you read the terms and rules, you will find an address in Panama. The site refers to US law though. i'm not sure.

It is not clear to me what the finances of this site are or if a bought membership provides any advantages, but i would first like to see the finances of this site before I donate anything. i want to know where my money goes and what the total cashflow is. until then, i won't donate or become a supporting member. A call for help for a webserver e.g. could be backed up by open finances. Is it a cry for help or a profit maximization?

We hope members will stick to the topics of the forum which is the recovery and refining of precious metals.
You and everyone else has the right to your opinions on any subject but we prefer you to keep those to yourselves if it’s likely to cause confrontation on the forum hence the rules , I’m fairly certain my opinions would be at odds with many on the forum on many subjects so I don’t share them on the forum , that keeps it running smoothly and we can discuss the topics we all come here for.

I have received several messages and suggestion to pony up some $ and become a supporting member. I have also received a message that my post was censored-edited. and if I continue making off handed political comments I will become banned from this page. Mind you I have stated no affiliation with any political party, as I have none, so I'm not sure how my jokes about the pandemic procedures were construed as POLITICAL, but so be it.
Since I'm the one who sent you that warning, I'll respond, although several others have already addressed the salient points.

One of my jobs as a moderator is to enforce the rules the moderating team has established to try to keep this forum running smoothly. When I do so, I do not pay any attention to whether a member is a supporting member or not. So, no, being a supporting membership does not give anyone the right to violate forum rules.

As to your "joke" about the pandemic. I find it one of the saddest developments of our time that our nation's response to a pandemic that has killed millions of people worldwide became a politically divisive subject. That division fell along political party lines, and one of the triggers was the wearing of masks. There were those who felt the pandemic was not real. They rebelled against wearing masks, and ridiculed those who did by referring to them as face diapers. So, when you referred to "N95 scamdemic face diapers", I took that as a political reference that could incite one of those divisive arguments among our members, so I deleted it and sent you a warning not to repeat such references. I would do the same whether you were a supporting member or not.

What you refer to as censoring free speech, I see as enforcing forum rules intended to keep our discussions on the topic of refining precious metals. The fact that you say you "have been repeatedly banned from far more popular platforms for refusing to speak as others prefer me to speak" indicates that many other forums agree. There is a saying that "the one common element in all your past, failed relationships, is you". If you have repeatedly been banned from other groups for the things you say, perhaps you should reconsider the things you say. It is one thing to exercise your right to free speech. It is another to intentionally offend others because you consider it your right to do so.

Everyone in the U.S. has the right to free speech, but there are restrictions. No one is allowed to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater if there is not a fire because it could induce panic that could cause injury. Our rules are intended to keep the forum running smoothly and on topic. I will continue to enforce those rules equally whether someone is a supporting member or not.

Dave

Since I'm the one who sent you that warning, I'll respond, although several others have already addressed the salient points.

One of my jobs as a moderator is to enforce the rules the moderating team has established to try to keep this forum running smoothly. When I do so, I do not pay any attention to whether a member is a supporting member or not. So, no, being a supporting membership does not give anyone the right to violate forum rules.

As to your "joke" about the pandemic. I find it one of the saddest developments of our time that our nation's response to a pandemic that has killed millions of people worldwide became a politically divisive subject. That division fell along political party lines, and one of the triggers was the wearing of masks. There were those who felt the pandemic was not real. They rebelled against wearing masks, and ridiculed those who did by referring to them as face diapers. So, when you referred to "N95 scamdemic face diapers", I took that as a political reference that could incite one of those divisive arguments among our members, so I deleted it and sent you a warning not to repeat such references. I would do the same whether you were a supporting member or not.

What you refer to as censoring free speech, I see as enforcing forum rules intended to keep our discussions on the topic of refining precious metals. The fact that you say you "have been repeatedly banned from far more popular platforms for refusing to speak as others prefer me to speak" indicates that many other forums agree. There is a saying that "the one common element in all your past, failed relationships, is you". If you have repeatedly been banned from other groups for the things you say, perhaps you should reconsider the things you say. It is one thing to exercise your right to free speech. It is another to intentionally offend others because you consider it your right to do so.

Everyone in the U.S. has the right to free speech, but there are restrictions. No one is allowed to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater if there is not a fire because it could induce panic that could cause injury. Our rules are intended to keep the forum running smoothly and on topic. I will continue to enforce those rules equally whether someone is a supporting member or not.

Dave
To the point as always:)

When the new owners took over the forum the mods, or possibly others who were interested enough to find out, heard the new owners had other forums. One of those forums was a homesteading forum. Coming from rural Pennsylvania I thought joining that forum could help me here in my responsibilities as a moderator, plus teach me something about homesteading.
Having spent time on that forum I can affirm that the ownership of that forum (and this forum) do not suppress free speech. Politics is fair game there. The decision not to discuss politics and religion here was made long before I came here and I have found it to be a wise decision. We are here to discuss a very specific topic, and we strive to keep focus on that topic without division often brought by politics and religion.
I stand behind what Dave did and stated 100%. We are here for chemistry and refining. Period.

Often people forget that freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without repercussions....what more, it wouldn't matter because freedom of speech has no bearing on private communications. It is simply the government not limiting what you can say. None of the moderators are government officials, and nobody is sending you to the gulag for posting ignorance. The moderators are simply doing their best to ensure that conversations remain educational and civil. Trolls seem to grasp at "freedom of speech" as an opportunity to sucker punch someone with words, then cry when they find that those people don't want to associate with them anymore.

This forum is well moderated, and I think most of us tend to like it. I like the fact that there are posters from third world countries who are just doing what they can to get ahead, as well as posters that run multi million dollar refineries....and it's maintained as a safe space for both.

Often people forget that freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without repercussions....what more, it wouldn't matter because freedom of speech has no bearing on private communications. It is simply the government not limiting what you can say. None of the moderators are government officials, and nobody is sending you to the gulag for posting ignorance. The moderators are simply doing their best to ensure that conversations remain educational and civil. Trolls seem to grasp at "freedom of speech" as an opportunity to sucker punch someone with words, then cry when they find that those people don't want to associate with them anymore.

This forum is well moderated, and I think most of us tend to like it. I like the fact that there are posters from third world countries who are just doing what they can to get ahead, as well as posters that run multi million dollar refineries....and it's maintained as a safe space for both.
Very well said!

I'm a huge fan of the United States Constitution and especially the free speech granted to us by our first Amendment.
Being prior military, I've taken the oath many, many times and there's no expiration to that oath. So you and I probably share a lot of views (probably no all). The Constitution was written to protect our rites from Federal, State and/or Local governments.....It doesn't necessary apply to private interactions.

There has been amendments made to the Constitution over the decades when it comes to privately owned entities. Mostly dealing with discrimination issues that protects color, race, creed, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender and religion...etc....and rightfully so.

I've been here since 2014 and I doubt every many people know what my political views/faith are.

*edited for word choice.

Last edited:
As much as I advocate for free speech, and i am against the covid propagabullshit this is perhaps not the right place. However on the other hand, there's some chemistry in developing diseases in a lab, lol.

I still side that anything that is not chemistry is out of point, few jokes aside.

Last edited:

Dave

Biologist here. I agree. The danger of Covid-19 is three fold. First, how rapidly it cycles through a population, then recycles while mutating. With no controls in place, that's very dangerous. Second, the longer term, debilitating, and permanent injuries 40% of US victims and others suffer. Every time there's a flare up, more and more get long COVID. It's horrible for everyone. I have young nieces who are former competitive runners who have long Covid. Sad, very sad. Finally, the amount of cases that are asymptomatic who infect others. Many are not ever detected until they are dying or dead. Catastrophic events should never be politicized. Physicians and healthcare workers and scientists tried to warn us. We had a pandemic prevention system in place that had worked with Ebola. It was discarded by the former administration. Let's make sure that is no longer happening. By the way, these events do bring out the best from many of us, even if some always do their worst.

Many people die secondarily from COVID infection. They die primarily from longer term cardiac issues, respiratory issues, neurological issues, even a primary diabetes caused by mutations causing cellular insensitivity to insulin or death of parts or all of the pancreas, or inability of the body to moderate immune mediated clotting of blood. This occurs years after infection.

It is known with 99.999 confidence that COVID kills 1.5% to 3% of a population each time it makes an uncontrolled pass through a country due to COVID-19 SARS. It's also known 99.999% confident to cause all of the secondary deaths I mentioned before. YOu can see videos of victims being intubated in YouTube like what I've seen live in person. You can also see HCWs cleaning the yards of thick ropy mucus out of the tubes. I see the type of person who denied this is likely the same who refuse to get fire or hydrological assays, who ask us all to visually confirm PGM content of ores from photos They disbelieve the science.

Let's not turn this into a debate about covid. We're here to discuss refining of precious metals. My only reason for including the quote from the OP (which I deleted) was to provide context about what was edited.

Back to refining, please.

Dave
Completely agreed!

I see the type of person who denied this is likely the same who refuse to get fire or hydrological assays, who ask us all to visually confirm PGM content of ores from photos They disbelieve the science.
I believe in science and the scientific method in everything I say and do. That said, the end of your post is more likely to divide us than unite us, and as sad as that is, it cannot be continued.

And before I got to post this I see that Dave has the perfect answer.
Back to refining, please.

Back