Tan/light brown mud in bottom of AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawsonland

Hi,
I have been using a bucket of AP for a couple months now. I use a small strainer bucket inside to capture most gold. I decide to filter all the AP to get the little pieces of gold.
What I found was a lot of little tiny flakes of gold and a lot of tan/brown mud. Now I have a bunch of filters with gold and mud.
What is this stuff?
How should I procede?
I am searching through all the posts but getting a little lost. I see some reference to black/brown mud being dropped gold but then I read that when the AP is saturated it will be like chocolate milk (tan/brown mud?).

After sitting (prior to filtering) this tan mud would settle to the bottom, so I would have nice emerald green AP above with the tan mud below. I never really have choc milk unless I swirled it around, but it would settle over time.
Thanks

The copper in the AP is pushing out the gold.....The mud you have is the gold.....Wash the mud there is a page on that somewhere on the forum step by step

Check this out....

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4653&highlight=

Any ? just PM Me

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I thought Copper I Chloride was a blue color? In some filters I have blue crystals but most of it is still brown/tan mud

lawsonland said:
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I thought Copper I Chloride was a blue color? In some filters I have blue crystals but most of it is still brown/tan mud

Copper Sulfate will precipitate out as brilliant blue crystals. The SO2 reduction of Gold produces Sulfuric Acid as a byproduct which reacts with copper salts in solution. As the Cu++ Chloride begins to precipitate out when it is reduced to Cu+ Chloride, the CuSO4 will begin to form crystals, some of which can become quite large and can easily be separated.

Back