Technique for Pouring gold into mold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Man

Hello,

I am back and have had some good success thanks to all the help you all have given me. I am at the point now where I am very confident in my refining techniques and am now ready to pour my gold into molds. I have never done this part yet so I have some questions about the technique.

At what temperature do you recommend I heat the gold to so it pours well?
I suppose I should use a new crucible that has not been used prior. Is that correct?
Do I need to heat the mold to avoid any heat reactions and if so to what temperature should I heat the mold to?
Once poured do I let it cool on it's own or do I assist the cooling process and if so how?
Will the left over slag/borax need to be completely removed prior to heating and pouring or will it burn off?
Are there any other issues or suggestions you may recommend before I attempt this. I have in upwards of 5 ounces I want to pour into molds and sell. Is there a company that you recommend I sell to? The best one I have found so far only requires 10% if it is triple digit pure.

Thank you once again in advance for your willingness to help as I move forward with my new found hobby.

Mountain Man.

Here is one post I posted a while back for pouring "nice" gold bars

:arrow: Last batch results

I suppose I should use a new crucible that has not been used prior. Is that correct?

Yes ! --- are you talking about a crucible - or a "melting dish" ?

At what temperature do you recommend I heat the gold to so it pours well?

Are you melting in a furnace - or melting with a torch ?

Do I need to heat the mold to avoid any heat reactions and if so to what temperature should I heat the mold to?

Explained in the link I provided

Once poured do I let it cool on it's own or do I assist the cooling process and if so how?

Explained in the link I provided

Will the left over slag/borax need to be completely removed prior to heating and pouring or will it burn off?

No it wont burn off - it should be removed before re-melting - it can be removed by soaking it in "hot" diluted sulfuric acid - or knocked off with a hammer --- I personally prefer knocking/chipping it off - I try to avoid working with sulfuric unless I absolutely have to

Note; - when working with sulfuric ALWAYS add the acid to the water - AND add it slowly --- it will spit & spatter & you don't want to get it on you

Is there a company that you recommend I sell to?

you can give David H Fell a try --- a while back I sent them 500 (plus) ozt silver & had no problem - it was the first & only time I used them

with gold (if I remember right) they pay 97 or 98 percent if you send them "at least" 5 ozt --- if it's less then 5 ozt I think the pay out is something like 93 - 95 percent (don't remember for sure)

:arrow: http://www.dhfco.com/index.html

Pics of your current gold as well as your melting set up would be helpful!!!

Kurt

If you follow the instructions I have posted (& with a little practice) you should be able to pour bars that look like this (& even better)

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20160626_04_50_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160626_04_50_31_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB
Thank you to all who replied to my questions. As always, you are all a great help and always willing to offer your expertise. It is truly and greatly appreciated. I will let you know how it goes and post some pics as well.

Mountainman.

Latest posts

Back