Test results if acid level in solution is strong

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondavids

I have made some stannous testing solution and tested it on a known gold solution ( works just great ) What i would like to know is , before eliminating nitric acid in the solution would the results be the same black , purple shades or is there no effect at all surgesting that the solution being tested is barren.

4metals said:
stannous chloride will indicate gold in the presence of nitric
Yep! In fact, when there's an abundance of nitric, one of the things I experienced was a flash of purple, that quickly was digested.

Too much nitric does interfere with the reaction, but careful observation will generally reveal the presence of gold.

Harold

Harold_V said:
4metals said:
stannous chloride will indicate gold in the presence of nitric
Yep! In fact, when there's an abundance of nitric, one of the things I experienced was a flash of purple, that quickly was digested.

Too much nitric does interfere with the reaction, but careful observation will generally reveal the presence of gold.

Harold

Thank you Harold , i think this is what i have observed with this batch of solution.

When testing for gold in a high nitric - low hydrochloric aqua regia, I found that, as Harold mentioned, the purple/black color would appear immediately and then quickly disappear. I found that the color would remain by (1) put one drop of the solution to be tested in a spot plate or small beaker. (2) add 3-4 drops of water to dilute the acid. (3) Add one drop of stannous chloride.

(I have not tried this). How about couple of drops of solution to be tested, add one prill of urea in spot plate, and then the stannous chloride test.

(What I do) use test tube with few of drops of solution to be tested, heat test tube to evaporate off excess nitric, use drop of this solution, and drop of stannous chloride

(I have not tried this). How about couple of drops of solution to be tested, add one prill of urea in spot plate, and then the stannous chloride test.

If this works a couple crystals or a drop of sulfamic solution might as well.

sulfamic acid powder probably would be better here.

I have some 50% sulfamic powder, I assume other ingrediants not listed are inert ingrediants, as it was a powder for testing water with, do you think this reagent would work?

I bought a small plastic tub from Home Depot as Grout Haze Cleaner. The MSDS listed it as 60% to 100% pure. Quite a spread but the powder is quite moist but clean and white, the impurity may be more or less water.

I haven't tried to chemically remove nitric for testing purposes. I'm pretty careful with my nitric additions. I have seen the test color appear and go away before and I will keep this idea in mind for the next opportunity.

Latest posts

Back