Testing for base metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsiggins

Hi guys,

I would like to know what method you guys use to test things like pins or plated or gold filled jewelry for base metals, to know the proper way to process it

Dissolve a small representative sample in a test tube.

A quick 'on-the-spot' test though, a pencil eraser. A magnet. A file. A loupe. Known quality items to practice on.

Eraser can erase away the thin gold layer of ENIG as well as other plated items, and with practice, you can get good at guesstimating the yield per lb (gsp could, I cant do it if my life depended on it)

A magnet, obvious

A file, to file down into the substrate to get a good look at it. -dont use snips to just cut the end. The gold will 'smear' and make you think that you will be taking a treasure bath after refining the untold riches. ...then you will be sad, when you realize how you tricked yourself... ....not that its happened to me or anything. :roll: :evil:

A good loupe to check out the notch from the file

Practice makes perfect.

The expected base metals are copper, nickel, silver and possibly iron, chrome (for stainless steel), easy to distinguish between.

Latest posts

Back