The assay / refining lab.....second time around

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4metals,

Everyone does things differently. I know that everything in your procedure will work. However, in several areas, I prefer to do things in another way.

10-14 - Although I have produced and converted silver chloride many 100s of times, I have learned to not produce it unless it is absolutely unavoidable to do so - e.g., the AgCl that is produced when directly dissolving karat gold in AR. Unless the AgCl is processed immediately, and not aged, it is often difficult to get a 100% conversion. If you have several 100 oz of aged AgCl, it can also filter and rinse very slowly. It can become very pasty and it tends to pack tightly in a vacuum filter.

I much prefer to use copper (buss bar is best) to cement out the silver. It only takes 2 steps (cementation, filtering), whereas AgCl takes 4 (precipitation, filtering, conversion, filtration). Copper cementation removes 100% of the silver. You knows it's finished when a drop of HCl or salt water produces no white cloud. Even though cementation only produces 99% silver, at best, that is fine if you're using the silver for inquartation. With aged AgCl, I doubt if the purity is any better, considering the rinsing problems.

BTW, what is the frying pan method?

15-18 - I'm a huge believer in using the HCl and HNO3 separately, rather than premixing them. Generally, the gold powder is first covered with an excess of HCl. The HNO3 is then added in small increments. When an increment stops fizzing, more is added. When a small addition produces no reaction, the gold is dissolved - this assumes that an excess of HCl was added to start with. After doing this a few times, knowing when you hit the endpoint becomes second nature. If, when learning, you overshoot the nitric, just boil it down as normal.

This method eliminates the need to boil the solution down or to add urea. I don't like urea at all for this application. If you add too much, it will form a precipitate. I also felt that I got purer gold when I didn't use urea.

A very slight excess of nitric acid will cause no problems when you use SMB to drop the gold. The SMB will first react with the excess nitric and then it will drop the gold with no problems. If there is much more than a slight excess of nitric, this process won't work well, since it will take a ton of SMB to kill the nitric. I actually prefer using sodium sulfite. It seems to stink less than when using SMB.

16 - Instead of using ice, I prefer to add 3 volumes of water to the AR. This precipitates out the greater bulk of AgCl that was dissolved in the strong AR. It actually might be best to dilute AND use ice. I also prefer dropping the gold from a more dilute solution.

20 - To be safe rather than sorry, I always added a little sulfuric to the aqua regia before filtering. It won't hurt anything.

GSP

Thanks for your reply, the copper cementation of the silver is another entirely different approach which brings us to the same end. Excellent.

The frying pan method is when you use dilute sulfuric on silver chloride in a cast iron frying pan. I guess in this age of stainless steel and teflon frying pans I should refer to it as the cast iron frying pan method. I mentioned it only because it can be a benefit to the refiner processing smaller lots.

Concerning urea, I generally do not like to use it, the main reason is that in larger scale waste treatment the urea breaks down at elevated pH to form ammonia which redissolves the copper out of the hydroxides causing discharge limit issues. If the small scale refiners on this forum use the copper cementation followed by the iron displacement the urea will never see high pH so it's not an issue. Another reason for caution with urea is how it can over react and boil over in a second if you're not careful.

The sulfuric addition is a good precaution to eliminate both tin and lead and should be included in the procedure.

Our discussion of bullion cupellation methods set off some interesting discussions, now it's time to discuss crucible assays because we will come across sweeps in our processing of both jewelry and electronics. Hopefully more interesting discussion will result.

Equipment needed for assaying sweeps type materials.

In addition to all of the supplies listed for cupellation you will need;

30 gram crucibles
scorifiers
tongs to pour crucible
scorifier tongs
granulated lead
multi depression conical molds
bone ash (for cleaning up spills in the furnace)
anvil
hammer

The trick with assaying powdered material is to select a flux which can reduce the metals in the sample so they can be collected by the lead. In the jewelery business that requires a "standard flux" a "green rouge flux" and the strong reducing flux for refining residues.

The formulations for these fluxes follow below. The details for mixing the sample and flux are also listed below. When you finish the fusion, you will pour the contents of the crucible into a conical mold to produce a cone shaped lead chunk. If all went especially well it will have an apple green clear slag on top when it cools. The only way you know if a fusion went well, meaning it collected all of the metal in the sample, is if all of the flux and fused sample pours out of the crucible without leaving any small glowing balls of lead clinging to the side or unreacted sweep sticking to the crucible. If the crucible doesn't empty cleanly try the more aggressive flux usually needed for green rouge (green because of the chromium) and repeat the process. Keep notes because once you determine which flux works for a customer's material it makes it easier to look it up than to figure it out again.

One note of caution, the slag on the cone molds often cools and shatters without warning, It can take out an unprotected eye. I always cover the molds with a board in the lab just for that purpose.

If the material is refining residues, which have been burned, crushed and sifted, the last flux listed is required. This method takes some practice because the metals you are collecting in the lead only amount to a few milligrams. So usually it is only done for gold and silver and assays for Pt and Pd are usually sent out to a lab with instrumentation.

Fluxing Formulations
All portions for 30 gram crucible fusions

Standard flux mixture

50 pounds Litharge (1 full can)
11.662 pounds Soda Ash (5925 g)
5.0 pounds Borax (10 waters) 2270 g
1.666 pounds Silica (756.3 g)
1.666 pounds Flour (756.3 g)

Test for lead reduction every time you make a new batch. Fusion should produce a 35-40 gram button of lead. To increase the weight add ¼ teaspoon of flour to reduce an additional 4 to 5 grams of lead. The total amount of extra flour added to get a 35 – 40 gram button, plus the ¼ teaspoon called for in the typical flux mixture equals the standard addition for this batch of flux.

Green rouge (chromium) flux mix

50 pounds Litharge (1 full can)
4.662 pounds Soda Ash (2116.5 g)
5.488 pounds Borax (10 waters) 2942 g
1.925 pounds Flour (873.9 g)
1.645 pounds Carbon (746.8 g)
1.372 pounds Silica (622.9 g)

Typical non-green rouge sweeps

4 tablespoons standard flux
1 teaspoon Litharge
¼ teaspoon Flour (or standard addition for batch)
Stir to mix and add 3 gram sample
Add Silver 3 grams (no Silver for doré)
Mix completely
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Litharge on top
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Borax on top
Fuse at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes
Remove from furnace and swirl to mix
Continue fusion for another 30 to 45 minutes
Pour into cone molds

Green rouge sweeps, high chromium

Same as above but substitute Green rouge flux mix for the standard flux

Reducing flux for difficult fusions and refining residues

3 tablespoons Green rouge flux mixture
1 teaspoon Soda Ash
1 teaspoon Carbon powder
Stir to mix and add 3 gram sample
Add Silver, 3 grams, (no silver for doré)
Mix completely
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Litharge on top
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Borax on top
Fuse at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes then add:
Add 1 teaspoon of a mixture of 1 part Carbon and 2 parts Soda Ash
Add 1 teaspoon Carbon
Add 1 tablespoon Borax
Swirl to mix and fuse for another 45 minutes
Pour into cone molds

Notice all the instructions end by saying pour into cone molds. That is because after the cone mold the lead is cleaned of any slag, hammered into a cube shape, and cupelled. From this point on you follow the directions of a cupellation assay. The hammering into a cube shape helps remove any adherent slag so only lead carrying the PMs goes on the preheated cupels.

Of course you should perform all assays in duplicate to confirm accuracy.

These fluxes and methods are more tuned towards jewelry sweeps but don't differ greatly from sweeps generated from other processes. The big difference is the fluxing formulations. This is where the guys with expertise in e-scrap should jump in with fluxing formulations for e-scrap. The way I assayed e-scrap was as copper based bullion from a melt at a refiner specializing in that. Those assays involve a scorification in granulated lead before a cupellation so no fluxing was ever needed in my experience.

goldsilverpro said:
I have the first 4 books, hardbound. I prefer the Shepherd and Dietrich and the Bugbee. I think both have been reprinted and are available at a fair price.

The last one is available here in pdf:
http://books.google.com/books?id=i_JMAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=assaying+smith&source=bl&ots=fIso7h1poh&sig=5Vy2J417guUumYLtvvTK1bYx0WE&hl=en&ei=gxz-Sfu1II3NlQewiJGWCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#PPP1,M1

I also have about 20 other old assay books, in pdf, that I downloaded from Google books.

Here's a good list to add:

http://tinyurl.com/ykwbuw7

The moderators would like to thank all of the members that contributed to the original thread upon which this thread was based, as well as those that asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, The assay / refining lab.....second time around.

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

For those who prefer a printed copy, a pdf file of this thread is provided below.

Attachments

• The assay refining lab second time around.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back