THE EMEW CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanconnrey

i want to ask about the technology of electrowinning cell named THE EMEW CELL. i think it's better and easier, but no one talk about it

does anyone have any helpful information about this technology and how to build your own cell.

i also heard about dessolving gold in an electrolyte solution of sodium chloride named fezzer cell

what do u tink ?

If this is what you are referring to, then I can imagine it not being discussed as everything I've seen shows it to be in use by "the big boys" of refining and not really for the hobbyist.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjnXzRci5M[/youtube]

A few challenges of using the EMEW cell:

1. all the ones I have ever seen or even seen proposals for, used "dimensionally stable anodes" for a variety of reasons. Generally, these are platinum-coated titanium. Wanna go out and buy those for your hobby?

2. the ones that make a coherent deposit as opposed to powder need to be shut down and taken apart in order to remove the deposit - otherwise it eventually blocks the flow through the cell. A long cylindrical deposit isn't the easiest thing in the world to strip without equipment designed to strip the cell.

It is an interesting technology. Despite all the years it has been around, it hasn't had that much adoption industrially, and still seems to require some development work. I do love the idea of a flow through cell, especially one that would make powder for continuous operation. It also has the advantages of symmetric power distribution and lots of mixing. I have seen it used at mini-pilot scale to recover gold from cyanide solutions (replacing the Merrill-Crowe zinc dust process) and it seems really cool. It does work quite well for copper electrowinning.

Just some thoughts.

Best Regards, Geraldo

Latest posts

Back