Things which may be of interest to members

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm amazed with what I see, there certainly are some small silicon dies, but I never milled it, so how did the mason jar shake break those? Though they're not much, but this "black" still seems to hold the bonding wires when I checked through a different technique.

Bowl in the first picture is how it currently looks and the rest are when water is added and now the carbon is kind of clearly more visible.

Attachments

• IMG20240816195435.jpg
    IMG20240816195435.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240816195635.jpg
    IMG20240816195635.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240816195713.jpg
    IMG20240816195713.jpg
  • IMG20240816195748.jpg
    IMG20240816195748.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240816195754.jpg
    IMG20240816195754.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240816195404.jpg
    IMG20240816195404.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm amazed with what I see, there certainly are some small silicon dies, but I never milled it, so how did the mason jar shake break those? Though they're not much, but this "black" still seems to hold the bonding wires when I checked through a different technique.

Bowl in the first picture is how it currently looks and the rest are when water is added and now the carbon is kind of clearly more visible.
If there are visible bonding wires it is Carbon.
More heat, time and air needed

If there are visible bonding wires it is Carbon.
More heat, time and air needed
Alright. Should I follow it with flipping the hot charge into a cold water bucket to further destroy it by the resultant thermal shocking or that won't be necessary?

Alright. Should I follow it with flipping the hot charge into a cold water bucket to further destroy it by the resultant thermal shocking or that won't be necessary?
That should not be necessary, but it need enough heat and access to Oxygen and the time to let it ash completely.
Stirring is very beneficial.

Hi again,

Well I suspected that the blacks are only carbon but unfortunately they were not only that, but a whole bunch of magentics as well as the small silicon dies as pointed by you people earlier. My mistake and a non negligible one. Henceforth, I paid the price by not checking it with a magnet earlier and ended up spending an entire night panning and separating the heavy stuff from the lighter ones. Then further classified it as can be seen.

The top left one is the lighter material, the right hand bowl is the heavy material and the bottom petri dish contains the magnetics.

On the contrary my real question lies upon roasting it again. As per the first image, the left bowl was incinerated on a hot plate whereas the right one was done atop a coal burner with a running fan. The bottom of the charge holding vessel went red hot but the charge seemed no diffierent. I understand there may be small silicon dies but its not just those in it. Why wouldn't the ashes show any change as well? Are they supposed to go white? Or do they go grey as the oxidize? Which side does it really tip over to?

P.S. no roasting or incineration was done in these plastic containers ;)

Thanks again for your time on this one.

Attachments

• IMG20240821215333.jpg
    IMG20240821215333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240821215336.jpg
    IMG20240821215336.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240821215330.jpg
    IMG20240821215330.jpg
  • IMG20240821215324.jpg
    IMG20240821215324.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
If you are looking to ash carbon it is best done in porcelain dishes or stainless steel trays at 500C.
The temperature is really important, I have always used an electric furnace to be sure of the temperature.
Lower temperatures eg 450C will either not fully ash or will need extended ashing times of over 24 hours.
The colour of the ash is dependant on the base metals present and is not a reliable indicator of ashing completeness.
If you have other materials present apart from carbon and thus cannot use colour to determine the ashing end point you will need to ash for at least 12 hours using a thin bed of 1 to 2 mm depth.
The usual problems occur when the material being ashed is in too thick a bed and either the full bed is not raised to 500C or the thickness of the bed is such that air access does not occur to all of the material.
If you desperately want to use a thick bed then you will need to rabble the bed every hour or two to get all of the carbon ashed, much easier to use more dishes with a lesser amount of material in each.
Deano

The colour of the ash is dependant on the base metals present and is not a reliable indicator of ashing completeness.

This is correct - in other words - besides small bits of silicon dies other "non-magnetic" base metals will be black after roasting which will give the "appearance" of carbon in the ash when in fact all the carbon has been converted to ash

Kurt

Wow! Thankyou for the insightful feedbacks
The temperature is really important, I have always used an electric furnace to be sure of the temperature.
Sir I couldn't agree to this more.. in terms of accuracy and convenience. I will look forward to building my own in the near future too.

If you have other materials present apart from carbon and thus cannot use colour to determine the ashing end point you will need to ash for at least 12 hours using a thin bed of 1 to 2 mm depth.
Given the time frame with relativity to the depth of the charge, this i'll have to figure out as at this point I don't have the freedom of incineration with an electric furnace.

So as suggested, a steel tray with a thin bed atop a coal pit with a running fan would be my only way for now. Ill post pictures or videos of that too.

The usual problems occur when the material being ashed is in too thick a bed and either the full bed is not raised to 500C or the thickness of the bed is such that air access does not occur to all of the material.
I tried with a thin bed earlier too as I'd thought the same. But I didn't know the waiting period for a possible change was supposed to be some time at least.

I probably mistook it for being an instant change as my vessel is a 3 mm stainless steel bowl that went red hot within minutes of the startup. That is when I thought that the charge should be no match for the heat. Ill give it a re-try when im feeling well again.

If you desperately want to use a thick bed then you will need to rabble the bed every hour or two to get all of the carbon ashed, much easier to use more dishes with a lesser amount of material in each.
I wouldn't mind either thickness as long as the job is done with correction to completeness with the best level of understanding and experience :)

This is correct - in other words - besides small bits of silicon dies other "non-magnetic" base metals will be black after roasting which will give the "appearance" of carbon in the ash when in fact all the carbon has been converted to ash
Agreed sir. But at least, whatever is not base metal should have coverted to ashes for some visual satisfaction. Like I see and know, something is happening...

Also from what you have pointed out as per the bold print, how can we differentiate IF the job has really been done then? Checking it post HCL/Nitric treatments and pre AR is the only way?

I do have a couple of YT links on roasting for further questioning. Should be sharing those on here too.

Anyhow, much appreciate and many thanks for you guys' time once again :)

I have been involved with gold processing in Australia on a commercial scale for over 40 years.
There are many facets of processing which I have developed over that time and which may be of interest to members, I am retiring from commercial activities and would not like to see this knowledge wasted.
Please understand that I have access to all the equipment and use it on a routine basis, this includes Atomic Adsorption Spectrometry (AAS), pH meters and redox meters for measuring Eh.
I mention the above not for any reason but that having the equipment makes the processing easier and in some cases it is necessary to have the equipment to efficiently carry out the processing.
I will need to put the information in a series of posts due to the sheer scale of the information. I will attempt to keep each post on a single topic.
Often I will be on a remote sits and will be not contactable for days at a time.
I felt that the chemical processes site was the most suitable forum for these posts even though some of them are about smelting processing.
If it is felt that these posts are not suitable for any forum I will not be upset about it.

Topic 1

Chlorine leaching

Equipment required - pH meter, Eh meter

Textbooks say that gold leaching solution requires an Eh of 1000mv to leach the gold.
This is not quite correct, what the solution requires an Eh of 1000mv for is to retain the gold in solution. A lower Eh will still dissolve gold but there will be an equilibrium established such that as more gold is leached a matching amount of gold precipitates out of solution.
If all the gold is dissolved and the solution is filtered then the gold will generally stay in solution for at least hours and depending on how clean the solution is it may be several days.

What the above means is that you want a high Eh for leaching and removal of the leach liquor from any residual solids by filtration when the leaching is finished.

The major problem with chlorine leaching is the outgassing of chlorine from the leach liquor. This will lower the Eh of the leach solution below the 1000mv required to keep the gold in solution.
If the pH of the leach solution is kept between 3.0 and 3.5 the outgassing of the chlorine is kept to a minimum, an odour of chlorine is noticeable but not really strong.
This is not to be taken as an invitation to do this type of leaching where there is no fume removal system in place, even low levels of chlorine will cause health problems.

What you end up doing with the leach is a continual sequence of adding HCl to adjust the pH and then adding hypochlorite to adjust the Eh, hence the need for the meters.
Some form of agitation is required to ensure complete leaching, for large scale a peristaltic pump with suitable hosing can be used, for small scale a magnetic stirrer is used.
A thick walled rotating plastic pressure vessel can be used for batch operation, as there is no outgassing of chlorine in this format there is no need to continually check the leach conditions after they have been initially set.

Note that you should always have a catch tray under all of your processing equipment.

Next post

recovery of gold from acid solutions

Deano
I am thrilled you are posting the knowledge you have on the forum! I look forward to reading what posts you submit! I hope to possibly be able to find a solution to my difficult refining situation. The opportunity to possibly get the info and help I need in identifying what type of ore the gold I've found is locked in. I wish you could I could be an apprentice to you...hands on learning is better for me. Does the company your retiring from have any apprenticeship programs available?

I am thrilled you are posting the knowledge you have on the forum! I look forward to reading what posts you submit! I hope to possibly be able to find a solution to my difficult refining situation. The opportunity to possibly get the info and help I need in identifying what type of ore the gold I've found is locked in. I wish you could I could be an apprentice to you...hands on learning is better for me. Does the company your retiring from have any apprenticeship programs available?
He is in a different continent, but we'll see what he says.

Hello again,

So I finally got a chance to carry out the process after two weeks of torrential downpour. As per my progress, the images are labeled, it took at least 3 hours into this. The charge was red hot as can be seen but to my dismay it stayed the same after the process as it was before. The image labeled 1 is the at the start (before roasting) and then it goes on from there. I hope these images do justice, but now I seek some suggestions. Although the result seems depressive, should I just carry on with the chemical processes from here on out?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello again,

So I finally got a chance to carry out the process after two weeks of torrential downpour. As per my progress, the images are labeled, it took at least 3 hours into this. The charge was red hot as can be seen but to my dismay it stayed the same after the process as it was before. The image labeled 1 is the at the start (before roasting) and then it goes on from there. I hope these images do justice, but now I seek some suggestions. Although the result seems depressive, should I just carry on with the chemical processes from here on out?
I for one can not give any information from such images alone.

Having your material red hot as per your photos ensures that there will be losses due to volatilisation.
Once you are at 500C there is no advantage in higher temperatures, indeed quite the opposite.
If you really want to do your ashing as per the photos then get a temperature gun to see what the temperature really is.
You are looking for 500C for several hours, having red hot material does not mean that air access is complete for the ashing stage.
With sand type material you will need to rabble at least every half hour.
Rabbling is always required when treating sandy material where the bed depth is greater than 3 grains of the sand.
Deano

Alright, Ill bear in mind these pointers. Hopefully get a pyrometer then proceed.
ensures that there will be losses due to volatilisation.
This I hadn't known is also possible with solid material. I'd Only known it was possible in atomic form or when its in the smelting process where temperatures are really high to make it possible.

Ill have this batch undergo the acid process for now. Ive got more material, hopefully recover something and improve my budget for the meter and get a better process underway for the next batch.

Many thanks for your time again

I have been involved with gold processing in Australia on a commercial scale for over 40 years.
There are many facets of processing which I have developed over that time and which may be of interest to members, I am retiring from commercial activities and would not like to see this knowledge wasted.
Please understand that I have access to all the equipment and use it on a routine basis, this includes Atomic Adsorption Spectrometry (AAS), pH meters and redox meters for measuring Eh.
I mention the above not for any reason but that having the equipment makes the processing easier and in some cases it is necessary to have the equipment to efficiently carry out the processing.
I will need to put the information in a series of posts due to the sheer scale of the information. I will attempt to keep each post on a single topic.
Often I will be on a remote sits and will be not contactable for days at a time.
I felt that the chemical processes site was the most suitable forum for these posts even though some of them are about smelting processing.
If it is felt that these posts are not suitable for any forum I will not be upset about it.

Topic 1

Chlorine leaching

Equipment required - pH meter, Eh meter

Textbooks say that gold leaching solution requires an Eh of 1000mv to leach the gold.
This is not quite correct, what the solution requires an Eh of 1000mv for is to retain the gold in solution. A lower Eh will still dissolve gold but there will be an equilibrium established such that as more gold is leached a matching amount of gold precipitates out of solution.
If all the gold is dissolved and the solution is filtered then the gold will generally stay in solution for at least hours and depending on how clean the solution is it may be several days.

What the above means is that you want a high Eh for leaching and removal of the leach liquor from any residual solids by filtration when the leaching is finished.

The major problem with chlorine leaching is the outgassing of chlorine from the leach liquor. This will lower the Eh of the leach solution below the 1000mv required to keep the gold in solution.
If the pH of the leach solution is kept between 3.0 and 3.5 the outgassing of the chlorine is kept to a minimum, an odour of chlorine is noticeable but not really strong.
This is not to be taken as an invitation to do this type of leaching where there is no fume removal system in place, even low levels of chlorine will cause health problems.

What you end up doing with the leach is a continual sequence of adding HCl to adjust the pH and then adding hypochlorite to adjust the Eh, hence the need for the meters.
Some form of agitation is required to ensure complete leaching, for large scale a peristaltic pump with suitable hosing can be used, for small scale a magnetic stirrer is used.
A thick walled rotating plastic pressure vessel can be used for batch operation, as there is no outgassing of chlorine in this format there is no need to continually check the leach conditions after they have been initially set.

Note that you should always have a catch tray under all of your processing equipment.

Next post

recovery of gold from acid solutions

Deano
Hi Deano, When I use the Chlorine/ HCL leach I keep the Solution cold with Ice , I do not get any Chlorine gass off and gold leaching is much quicker than usual. I use activated carbon to collect the gold out of the acid then I ash the Activated carbonin an oven at 600 deg. centigrade, collect the Gold and melt it into a button

Very interesting. One advantage of electrowinning that I see is to remove metal salts as a step of treating waste water. Even if it isn't worth a lot in metal value, just making it easier to process the waste is worth a lot.

A lot of what we do in refining is in chloride based solutions. Is there a lot of chlorine given off during electrowinning?
Have you tested using platinized titanium instead of a carbon rod?

Göran
I find that the carbon rod flakes off, this contaminated my solution

Some dealers who sell carbon products have what is known as electrode grade carbon available in rods and sheets.
It costs more than standard carbon products and is not often requested due to price.
If I am doing electrowinning I usually set up with an anode which is titanium coated with platinum group mixed oxides, for chloride solutions these are usually iridium oxide with a small amount of proprietary other oxides.
These electrodes are expensive but are really worth having if you are treating regular quantities of product.
Direct smelting of carbon ash almost guarantees that you will have large losses of gold, digesting the ash in aqua regia is a much better processing route.
Deano

Latest posts

Back