This may sound stupid.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpneightez

Can you dip a rare earth magnet into a solution to get rid off all the magnetic material. Not saying I am going to do this but, Is it feasible. Are some of those small particals still attracted to magnatism?

perhaps if you were to state what your purpose of doing this (what end result are you trying to achieve), then it would be more possible for someone to answer your question.

Theoretical 'what-if', for no purpose, just leaves too much for guessing.

Be clear in your question/thoughts and I'm sure someone can/will help.

I use a rare earth magnet in a clear plastic disposable cup. I attach the magnet to a stick, put it in the cup and dab the cup around. once some materila is collected I put the cup over the collection container and pull the magnet out and the material falls off the cup into the container. Easier than trying to clean off the magnets.

pimpneightez said:
Can you dip a rare earth magnet into a solution to get rid off all the magnetic material. Not saying I am going to do this but, Is it feasible. Are some of those small particals still attracted to magnatism?

if you talk about iron IN SOLUTION the answer is no (because in solution the iron is in form of some salt)
if you mean that you have put iron or nickel IN A SOLUTION and it is still in metalic form i dont know why you could not do it

anyway correct me if im wrong

glondor said:
I use a rare earth magnet in a clear plastic disposable cup. I attach the magnet to a stick, put it in the cup and dab the cup around. once some materila is collected I put the cup over the collection container and pull the magnet out and the material falls off the cup into the container. Easier than trying to clean off the magnets.
What a GREAT TIP!

I just tried it with a string instead of a stick and it worked WONDERS! Picked up as much/more than ever, and cleanup a snap!

Best thing I'll learn all day? Could be - it sure is a good one!

I'm going to attach several magnets into a cup (cover the bottom, basically) and use them for driveway cleanup (we get a lot of screws and various metal bits flying around - I like to keep the front area clear) and even for 'sweeping' the floor to grab all those random screws that we've been throwing away - not enough to mess with, but with a gismo like this, it is EASY!

Thanks for the tip!

Hey MMFJ. For screw clean up i just mount the magnets on the front of an old push broom. 8)

glondor said:
Hey MMFJ. For screw clean up i just mount the magnets on the front of an old push broom. 8)
already thinking of that - with a bit of pallet wrap around it to make clean-up simple!

One thing one of my workers told me was that he'd seen a scrap yard using a little 'trailer' (or push-ahead, depending on which is preferred) with a 2x board mounted 'lopsided' between two wheels. It was mounted to make the board's weight sling back/forth slightly above ground level, with magnets all along it.

My biggest reason for not doing this is the difficulty in cleaning up, but with the plastic wrap idea, it will get built!

mount magnets to a board (microwave magnets work great) use plastic rain gutter for magnet cover.

Kurt

kurt said:
mount magnets to a board (microwave magnets work great) use plastic rain gutter for magnet cover.

Yep! Now mount a small wheel on each end of the board so it will roll along keeping the board/magnets/gutter just above the ground. Then put a handle on it just like a push broom (or just convert an old push broom).

Roofers use a tool just like this to clean around a house after they tear off old shingles. It picks up all the stray nails (except aluminum ones :evil:). They don't have the rain gutter for easy clean up. Great suggestion Kurt!

Dave

they are real cheap at http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=sweeper

most tools you don't buy there some are OK.

Eric

gold farmers in the virtual world. :lol: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkkf5NEIo0[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back