• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale *** THIS THREAD IS ON HOLD ***Over 700lbs. of Telecom Server Boards. ***PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER ***

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you'll pardon the expression these ringed pieces are the money shot. View attachment 61593
What is that special about these ceram modules ? Are they gold bond-wired ? Or PGM-plated ? I processed some quantity of soviet manufactured hybrid IC´s, which were gold bond-wired and contained nice yielding PtPd MLCCs (some 60g PGMs/kg). Not much else. These unfortunately comprised only few % of total weight of the hybrid IC.
For the PM content, per kilogram, it would be nice number. But overall, if they are sporadic on few boards in bulk... I don´t know.

I am asking just from pure curiosity :)

Those boards also contained Pd and Pt. In many cases there's just as much value in the PGMs as the gold content. Look for the thick film transistors, and if a board has those then don't be taking less than $10 per pound.

If you'll pardon the expression these ringed pieces are the money shot.

Yes in deed ;) (y)

When I retired from refining for a living one of the things I held onto for hobby refining was a couple boxes (about 50 - 60 -pounds) of those very boards because of the Pd/Pt in them

Besides the Pd/Pt in/on the ceramics even the board traces of the boards I have are Pd/Pt plated (instead of gold plated - planning to process them this summer when the weather gets better :D

Kurt

I'll be looking for a recycler in the bay area to forward the boards onto at some point

If you mean look for someone thar will buy your boards - good luck with that in California

To the best of my knowledge there are no board buyer in California - at least none that I have been able to find & I have looked

That is because of the way the E-waste recycling system/laws are set up in California (& Oregon & Washington for that matter)

I don't have time right now but IF (the BIG IF) &/or when I get time I will post more (including links to web sites) of what I have found in my searches

The short story is that all the "recyclers" I contacted do not buy anything - & in fact even charge money to take stuff

Kurt

Thank you Leothlyn01 for the sale of your boards ! Gentleman is a stretch, but I'll take a compliment. I'm just a farm boy from central Ohio having fun with a hobby ( yes, living in the Santa cruz mtns the last 30 years). I'll be looking for a recycler in the bay area to forward the boards onto at some point as it is too much for me to process. Leothlyn01 was more than fair, and a great guy to meet as well!
I'm hoping to touch base with Kurt and thank him for his expertise also. It is good to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.
Are there any local groups or meet ups in the bay area that anyone knows of?
I love taking apart old stuff mostly to see how it was made. see attached pic. the fun things you find in 70's HP stuff.

Hey Tim.... Don't be discouraged it doesn't take a rocket scientist to refine gold.. in fact, I would think that someone like yourself ...... A civil engineer.. would be more than qualified when it comes to being intelligent enough. I'm sure a lot of these guys sound like lifelong chemist and I am sure that some of them are but I would think most of them have come from very different walks of life before making this hobby their passion.... A lot of reading and retaining along with your own trial & error experience will eventually make you an expert...or at least sound like one.. I hope you give it a shot before you decide to sell your boards or pay someone else to do it for you.

There is a west coast buyer, but I won't post his full name. Reach out to Lou and ask him to reach out to John for you.

If you'll pardon the expression these ringed pieces are the money shot.

I found some similar to those (circled in blue) on a bunch of Motorola boards. When I processed them they tested positive strongly for Pt. If I remember correctly I had 126 of them. The masking on the fronts took some time in the AR to release from the sub straight to expose the traces to the AR.

KIMG3529.JPG
KIMG3528.JPG

Back