Thought it was simple and straight forward bs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jabukanac said:
but you got me thinking now and i wanna to a test which is a problem at this moment cannot find any tin powder in Queensland (Australia) also all of the hardware stores are selling solder with 35% lead which is bad so i have to order a minimum 1kg of tin powder 325 mesh from a place in NSW which is going to take 2 weeks to arrive with a cost of $65 for 1kg of powder and $16 postage (may be expensive but hey have no other option)
Just go to the nearest second hand store and buy a beat up pewter bowl for a dollar and you will have a lifetime supply of tin. Stannous chloride isn't sensitive for contaminations, if it was we would never be able to test our wild mixtures of metal salts.
Even ordinary led-tin solder could be used (if new, after melting to get rid of flux). Lead chloride has a very low solubility and will end up as a white powder on the bottom. But it does slow down the reaction speed as the solder gets encrusted by lead chloride.

Göran

Good information Goran
I just think that this person is not coming back to read it, considering that this was wrote on the 5th and there has been no update from the original Poster....at all.

Bummer! :lol: But I don't care too much if he don't read it. Others will. I always write both for the one asking the questions and anyone else reading the thread later on.

Göran

Shame isn't it Goran?

I was just about to say how simple it was too.

Keep back 5ml of known gold bearing solution in a small bottle.

Get a roll of tin contained solder.
Get a 25Ml bottle and put your HCl in. Then a few snips of solder.
Leave for a while as you do your normal refining type things and then test the solution against your known gold liquid.
If it works then you win!

Instantly repeatable every time you refine, as you have a test medium to ensure your solution is still viable. If it isn't then just make a new one.

Cheap, simple and effective ;)

Shame he's not coming back though.

In regards to a source for tin, it might not hurt to check with stores that provide fishing supplies. Sinkers are being made of tin, so you might luck out and find them at your location. Hard to say, but it's worth a look.

If you're not familiar with the appearance of tin, and can't judge if they are tin or not, keep in mind, tin has a hint of a yellow cast to its color and creaks when bent. If they're made of lead, it will be obvious by their color, as lead is rather gray, lacking the yellow hint I mentioned.

A little comment on a sample of gold bearing solution. Hoke discusses that in her book. She refers to the sample as a gold standard solution. If you make it from a known amount of gold (a grain or two is enough), and dilute it a specific amount, while it's far from being an assay of other solutions, the reaction you witness from your standard solution as compared to a sample from an unknown solution often will indicate an approximate gold content. It does require a trained eye, but that comes with experience. For that reason, I discourage using a random sample, although such a sample is far better than nothing.

Harold

Great info about alternatives, as Goran said ( Just go to the nearest second hand store and buy a beat up pewter bowl for a dollar and you will have a lifetime supply of tin. Stannous chloride isn't sensitive for contaminations)

This was my first choice and i have made test solution of grind-ed pewter ashtray i have ,solution was murky in color for a while but next day was a clear with gray dust at the bottom, i have tested my two beakers of dark CuCl2 (saturated and dark green almost brown in color) and this come up negative with this test at the same time i was advised on another post to stay away from such a Stannous solution as the are not reliable, which i did
so now i have my two coffee pots with 1000ml of CuCl2 and visible gold particles all over it ( again this is not a messed up solution i am still processing my fingers until they are dissolved completely base metal ) so if anyone got angry on my question my apologies i do not need help to fix my bad becouse i do not read i do read and still reading daily,my asking was for advise from anyone who is interested to share better ways of dealing with things such as useless finger processing,in
AP so just to get clear to everyone who is reading
i started my first batch of AP with 3000ml 32% Hcl +lid of 3% H2o2 less than 5ml this solution contained 400g of computer cut of fingers one you find in IDE cables or which are usually fully plated
anyhow this was reacting quite well for about 2 weeks after it got saturated and reaction slowed down i have added more pins probably another 300g and let it soak another few days ,this is where some people got confused and jump to conclusion that i have made a mess and asking for quick fix which is not even close to what i have i have two coffee pots filtered CuCl2 300ml each with visible large amount of nano particles gold in it (looks like colloidal gold but i hope it is not because does drop to the bottom of the pot after few hrs of resting) my third and active solution is still 300ml of Hcl so to get clear after my original solution containing H2o2 i did not add any more in second and third because i have used 100ml of my previous solution to start a leach only reason i have done this changes was to experience how quick and well is going to work if AP was in small amount but fresh which i did so you see now i have 22 days latter most of the pins dissolved completely and still have only 800ml of AP to deal with it and all of this with out any heating other than natural sun light ,my point is to prove to my self and anyone who is interested reading if done patiently some pins my be worth of processing in HCL and not using any heating (waist of electricity or large amount of chemicals, all of my AP will be filtered washed and collected for further refining depending which ever way i have feel comfortable doing it HCL-CL or AR i am not there yet as i do not have proper melting dishes and molds

and thanks Harold my fishing shop should have some small sinkers which i believe may be tin

thanks again and again my apology if anyone got offended reading something again and again on this site (it wassent me) :p

jabukanac,

I think your post is so long, it is hard to follow, to tell if you are asking for advice or just explaining what you have done.

If you see gold as brown powder or small golden flakes it is not colloidal gold, you may just have to let solution sit and the gold to settle.

I normally do not filter where I do not have to, normally if you let solutions sit most of the insolubles will settle, even if I do filter solutions, I will let them settle well, and just filter the decanted liquids, not disturbing the settled powders. fine powders can go through filters, or you can get some values trapped in the filter material, powders tend to clog filters...
it is best just to filter the clean liquids whenever you can, there are times where you will wish to filter powders, but I would not unless I needed to.

In the copper II chloride solution (AP). even if you have for some reason put gold into solution adding copper will dissolve copper into solution and push gold back out of solution.

As long as you do not have tin dissolved in solution with your gold you should be fine with this leach.

It does not sound like you have added too much oxidizer (3% H2O2) so you most likely have no gold dissolved into solution.

If the solution is dark brown it can be loaded with copper I chloride.

If you are asking a question try to give enough detail of what you have done, try to make it simple to understand, state the question clearly, I can see you have been studying,

My mind is simple I need simple questions.

And now here I go and write a big long post that you may have trouble reading.
Maybe I need to take the advice to keep it simple.

Thanks butcher i got the idea of keeping my posts simple and you are right i shall do that in the future my bad is i am used to chat rooms where things work in different ways so from now on you all see silence from me
( just joking not scared to ask for help ) problem may be with my English i do think in other language then express my self in English this is most likely to be a luck of being simple with my posts anyhow i promise ill improve being simple in the future ,,,no long posts i am happy to have them deleted as i have my answers already and i am thankful ,if anyone knows how i don't see option on my end to delete my posts

thanks for confirming that it is not colloidal gold
just to clarify it was both what i have done with my process and asking for advise on two things one was stannous test solution alternative and second one was what you confirmed that i should not have colloidal gold present so thanks again

jabukanac said:
no long posts i am happy to have them deleted as i have my answers already and i am thankful ,if anyone knows how i don't see option on my end to delete my posts

Please don't delete any posts, here that is left to the moderators. That is why you don't see an option once you have had a response. If you have second thoughts about a post before someone responds it can be deleted, but after someone else posts after you, then you can no longer delete a post.
The answers you receive can be helpful to others in the future, and deleting parts of threads leaves the rest of the thread a mess.

Jim

Point taken jimdoc
we are here to share our smart ideas and our not so stupid ideas so we can all get smarter at the end
ps; sometimes i do not mind reading even stupid things because i can learn from someone else s mistake so i do not do the same what i will not do is criticized anyone for trying as long as is reasonably safe for himself others and environment cose this is how we Humans discover innovations and i will stay away from giving any advise how to do things rather explaining what i have done and with what results

happy refining people 8)

Latest posts

Back