Too much bubbler?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quasi2

Hello everyone. I love this forum- the wealth of knowledge is incredible and the community is super helpful with an attitude I love.

To get to it then...

I'm new but fairly well read but have a couple questions. I've read about AP eating gold and using a bus bar or other copper to push the gold out and I understand too much oxidizer (peroxide) is what causes the problem. But I've only ever used a bubbler (aquarium pump - end of tube tied and holes punched in tube with tack). Since you must be careful not to start with too much peroxide and then don't really use any more should I only use the bubbler to start the reaction and then turn it off? I haven't seen that done in any of the videos or instructions - the bubbler seems to be used throughout the AP process duration.

Here is what I have. These pictures are the result of my second batch of fingers which were started with the remaining AP from the first batch and more hcl added, as this was a larger batch. Partway through it became very dark and a drop of water turned white so I figured it was saturated and I poured half of it off into a separate container to process later and before I added the replenishment hcl I noticed something odd and figured it was just the copper plating back onto the gold(?) but parts of the gold foils actually looked corroded/eaten not just plated. Out of curiosity I dropped a bit of stannous on a paper towel i used to wipe the lip of the container after pouring and it looked positive for gold. Not like and AR batch but still enough color to get me thinking.

Thoughts?

-Quasi

Attachments

• 20150411_191313.jpg
    20150411_191313.jpg
    86.2 KB
  • 20150411_145231.jpg
    20150411_145231.jpg
    511.5 KB
  • 20150413_181421.jpg
    20150413_181421.jpg
    530.9 KB
  • 20150413_192053.jpg
    20150413_192053.jpg
    321.4 KB
Thank you for that.

Is the discoloration of the foils normal? And the bubbler should be run for the duration because it is part of what turns the copper I into II right?

What turns CuCl into CuCl2 is the chlorides coming from HCl. Instead of emptying the bucket you had to simply add more HCl.

Quasi2 said:
Thank you for that.

Is the discoloration of the foils normal? And the bubbler should be run for the duration because it is part of what turns the copper I into II right?

Yes the discoloration is normal.

Yes keep the air bubbler running all of the time.

I would have taken more of the copper chloride out of your bucket.

You could have left 5%-10% 0f your original solution in your bucket and it would have restarted your reaction fine, it dosn't take much to keep the AP active when you add your new HCL.

You can also add 10%-50% by volume of water when you add your new HCL.

Hi Quasi2!
Welcome to the forum. It takes a lot to saturate a bucket of AP. I do many batches of fingers before I have to add anything.I just keep using it and I'll notice that it seems to stop working as well as it did, That's when I'll add alittle HCl. The solution will hold a lot of base metals.
There are times ( at the start of a new batch of AP) where the peroxide in the begining will disolve some gold. as the solution gets saturated with copper,nikel, etc... any gold in the solution will be replaced and cemented out as powder.
Hope that helped!
artart47

I agree completely with Atart. You can do an awful lot of fingers in AP before it's saturated. Run the bubbler constantly it's not there as a "starter" but as a method of prolonging and improving the effectiveness of your AP.

Here's a new video by Nurdrage that might explain it easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_P2hdsJAaY&feature=em-uploademail
Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Latest posts

Back