Torch Kit problems for melting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colu41

So I'm not dishing out the money for a big oxyacetalene? kit, so I picked up the small oxygen and mapp kit from Menards. Mapp gas has worked fine for me but I would like to move to something a little hotter for more of a liquid pour.

Well I set up the kit, and it wont stay lit!

I turn the gas on low and light it. And when I slowly turn the oxygen on the flame dies out instantly. I tried it on low, medium and high flame, and it just dies right out. Now I'm in my garage and I know it should be well ventilated but I did close all the doors to make sure there was no breeze and it still did not stay lit.

What could be the problem? Its a brand new kit so the tanks are full, everything is clean.

thanks

Make sure the regulators are turned up. Turn the little screw thingy clockwise it will increase gas pressure.

Before I turn the oxygen on? Because I tried that...

I tried it with the flame on low medium and high in it still goes out as soon as I turn the oxygen on.

Gas needs a certain amount of oxygen for combustion. You may have the ox turned up to high. Try turning the ox down on the regulator so when you turn the knob on your torch to turn the ox on it doesn't hit all at once and blow it out. Or you can increase your gas output to match you oxygen out put. Sounds like to much ox and it's blowing the flame out with a pop!

Latest posts

Back