Torch type and gas needed - help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moshik3

Hi,

I'm preparing for my first refining.
i bought a ceramic silica crucible,

and i need help with the torch selection.
right now i have a small torch that uses small containers (pierce style container) which are butane probably or a mix with a lot of butane)

300image_front4028.jpg

I'd like to know if i can have success with it melting up to 10-20g of metal (14K jewelry, then the gold powder) ?
or i better not waste my time and get a propane/MAP gas torch (also available in disposable container+torch)

does one of you use the same torch like in the picture with regular butane\kitchen stove gas ?

Thanks for your help !

This subject has been beat to death.

It's simple. If you hope to melt gold, silver and any of the platinum metals, the use of oxygen along with the fuel is key to success. No amount of screwing around with a straight propane or other type torch, that does NOT include the use of oxygen, will perform well.

If you have natural gas at your disposal, there's nothing wrong with using natural gas and oxygen.

Harold

Rothenburg do a small oxygen setup, not cheap but worth it, as i too have wasted many hours trying to melt stuff way beyond the capabilities of a propane torch. :|

Attachments

• DSC04144.JPG
    DSC04144.JPG
    1.9 MB
Back