Trash buring furnace

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi 4metals
Thanks for posting those pictures
If you can write about the construction that would be nice.
How can an average person build one of these things
Thanks

While Lowen says you can leave out the grills I don't agree,, they provide a place for the unburned sweep to stay with air beneath to burn more completely, and when they are burnt they fall to the bottom to be scooped out easily.

The burner in the afterburner is a pipe or tube burner which is nothing more than a pipe with holes drilled in it to provide a long line of flames to the inner tube. I suggest googling Charles A Hones, a manufacturer of burners specific to burnout ovens and heating equipment. Request a catalog, they make pipe burners with their "buzzer" style air intake which will work well and they also make the gas jets Lowen refers to to dry wet sweeps, also highly necessary.

The end of the afterburner at the front end is open to the room, it provides air intake to the afterburner and provides necessary air to combust the unburnt smoke. The back end of the afterburner has a blower with a nozzle aimed up to induce a draft to exhaust the burnt smoke to the chimney.

Make sure the doors close pretty tightly to minimize air leakage because if the gaps are too large this thing will smoke because the air will leak out of the burn chamber and not pass thru the afterburner. Gasketing would serve you well here.

I've seen these things work and for jewelry sweeps they are very effective.

What they have here is impressive
http://www.charlesahones.com/gas_burners.htm

But its up to you to construct something to your needs
From what i can see they don't have furnace like that in the picture from the Lowns book

If you want a furnace like in Lowens sketch you'll have to find a welder to make you the body of the burner to the specs in the sketch. Then you'll have to add a pipe burner for the heat source in the afterburner and another burner to burn the wet stuff. If you start out without the burner for the wet material a little kerosene will get the sweeps burning just fine.

The printed Hones catalog has more than their website. Also the newer models have safety features and pilot lights which you may not want to pay for.

The guy from UTUBE sent me an email. $ 2,000 for the unit he said. Huuummmmmmm ???

Here's his website, check it out. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: http://www.emakmakina.com/index.asp

Were it me the design of the afterburner from the book is really crude at best, I would design it different. It would be more efficient and pass E.P.A. Inspection should you have a visit from them. All you need to meet the E.P.A.'s guidelines for Small Source emissions is a data logger. Which can be had for about $ 200.00 If you did it yourself you could build a good one ( Sweeps Furnace ) for $ 2,000. Automated controls and all.

4metals said:
After scanning these diagrams from Lowens book and copying the text I must admit the description he gave lacks some detail. When I see how this looks I'll post some comments on construction, I have seen these used and they can really be quite effective and inexpensive to build.

Hi,

Pictures are no longer available, please kindly advise.

Regards,
Kevin

4metals said:
I just looked at the pictures on page 1 of this thread, I had posted pictures from Lowen's book as did Steve. I see them on my computer.
I think he might be referring to the attachment included under the last picture on that post. I tried to open it and the site says it no longer exists on this site.

4metals said:
While Lowen says you can leave out the grills I don't agree,, they provide a place for the unburned sweep to stay with air beneath to burn more completely, and when they are burnt they fall to the bottom to be scooped out easily.

The burner in the afterburner is a pipe or tube burner which is nothing more than a pipe with holes drilled in it to provide a long line of flames to the inner tube. I suggest googling Charles A Hones, a manufacturer of burners specific to burnout ovens and heating equipment. Request a catalog, they make pipe burners with their "buzzer" style air intake which will work well and they also make the gas jets Lowen refers to to dry wet sweeps, also highly necessary.

The end of the afterburner at the front end is open to the room, it provides air intake to the afterburner and provides necessary air to combust the unburnt smoke. The back end of the afterburner has a blower with a nozzle aimed up to induce a draft to exhaust the burnt smoke to the chimney.

Make sure the doors close pretty tightly to minimize air leakage because if the gaps are too large this thing will smoke because the air will leak out of the burn chamber and not pass thru the afterburner. Gasketing would serve you well here.

I've seen these things work and for jewelry sweeps they are very effective.

I'm revisiting this project again and my welder has some time open to work on it for me- I want to make a scaled down version of Lowen's sweeps burner that he constructed out of a metal barrel with the after burner.

My idea is to design and build out a metal box shape rather than a barrel that we can load stainless steel restaurant pans in with the sweeps and polishing dust and use the after burner in the same fashion as Lowen's = but inside the chamber where we would load the pans should we use gas stove burners underneath them to heat the pans/chamber ? How hot should inside the chamber get to ? 1000-1100 degrees Fahrenheit for a few hours for a complete burn ?

Thanks

Grains of Gold

I'd shoot for the 1,100° threshold. Key to success is igniting and eliminating carbon.

Harold

Latest posts

Back