tungsten

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RikkiRicardo

Need help in dissolving tungsten that looks like contacts

I have tried many ways
HCL with peroxide solution stays yellow contacts stays the same
Peroxide again nothing just a yellow white foam again nothing
AR same solution stays yellow they look that they are getting smaller but not sure
i thought that they my have platinum in them or another PGM metals
so I'm trying to dissolve them so i may test them
and yes everything is heated
should also the solution stay yellow ?
all the contacts have been in solution for the last 4 days

Rikki

Are they AgWx contacts or just W? Have you teted with Ag testing solution. If they are AgWx contacts than you will need to jeep them in hot to boiling nitric to dissolve them Harold states they are done when they easily break apart. I have wondered if you had enough would it warrant using a ball mil to crush or powder them to speed up the digestion process?

Eric

Hi Eric

Type of contacts i don't know what they are.silver I'm sure they are not
as i have done Ag/tungsten contacts before and silver is removed with Nitric acid and heat tungsten stays as powder
I'm looking at if there is another way to dissolve tungsten without using HF acid
also wondering why the solution stays yellow is this the color of tungsten while it's dissolving?
also what is Wg?
once i dissolve this then i can check for other metals.

Rikki

Butcher
i will try that today
do you know how long it should be heated for as if there is no reaction then i will have to find another way
never seen something like this.
and thanks again

Rikki

Tungsten is very resistive to acids, silver in HCl passivates, the high oxidizer can help to react with the tungsten, and the silver crust can be broken loose with vigorous stirring and knocking it around with a glass stir rod, if this is tungsten and silver it will not be fast or easy.

Do you have pictures or information where the contacts came from?

You may find this useful:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16364

Sometimes you can get data sheets for specifications with a search, of the relay or other switching device there are some good posts listing metal used in switch's and breakers, allot of these contain mostly silver, I can not tell you what the Westinghouse or other brands of breaker’s, or switch points you have contains, but my guess is mostly silver, and that is the way I feel you should purchase them as silver, and also these can be a cost you in time and reagents so figure that also. Switches can contain gold or gold plating, but that is usually for low current and high reliability in switching like for digital electronics, large current devices will usually have tungsten.

Here are a few metals you may find in switches. Relays and circuit breakers:
Silver usually predominant metal

Group1: Ag-Mo, Ag-Cu, Ag-Cd, Ag-Fe, AG-Ni, AG-Wc, Ag-C
Group2: Ag-Cu-Ni, Ag-Cd-Ni, Ag-Ni-Mg, Ag-Fe-Cu, Ag-CdO
Group3: Ag-A, Ag-Pt, Ag-Pd,
Group4: Cu-W, Cu-Wc
Some will also contain PGM metals.

Metals to look for: Au, Pt, In, Rh, Ir, Os, Ag, Hg, Pb, Cu, NI, Fe, Co, A, Cd, Mo, SN, Mg, W, C, Zn, and oxides of metals

Tungsten melts about 3380 deg C which makes melting difficult

There are spring materials made from copper, stainless steel, beryllium, bronze and kovar

Relay contact point's, switch's, circuit breakers and the like, will usually contain other metals, some of higher value than just the silver.
And if contacts were Russian, I would surely check for platinum group metals.

Gold flashed, or plated, silver, gold overlay base metals, silver nickel, silver cadmium oxide, silver tin indium, silver copper nickel, gold silver nickel, gold silver nickel palladium tungsten.

Some of the metals to watch for, Au, Pt, Pd, Ir, Rh, In, Os, Ag, Ni, Cu, Fe, Co, A, Cd, Mo, Sn, Pb, Hg, Mg, W, C, Zn, and oxides of metals.

Tungsten (W) usually used in high current type, (waffle back), high melting point 3380 deg C, this can make melting difficult, not easily dissolved, hot HCl with concentrated H2O2 will attack.

Tungsten silver contacts, in a (50% : 50%) solution of 70% HNO3 : H2O, heated can dissolve the silver out, leaving a porous shell of tungsten, that can be broken or crushed, when silver is removed. (note added with edit)

The metals or combinations of metals, used are usually dependent on the purpose and use of the contact points (relay, breaker, switch, etcetera), the voltage, current, environment, inductance or capacitance in circuit, Arcing, welding, oxidation, pitting, inrush current, contact bouncing, whether AC or DC application,

Well lets just say there are many factors that come into play when a contact point is used in electronics or electrical applications, and these little buttons of metals are in most all electronic and electrical devices.

Melting contacts can produce deadly fumes cadmium and zinc as well as other volatile metal toxic fumes and floating oxidized particles of the metals easily breathed into the lungs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=goldrefiningforum.com&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any

RikkiRicardo said:
Hi Eric

Type of contacts i don't know what they are.silver I'm sure they are not
as i have done Ag/tungsten contacts before and silver is removed with Nitric acid and heat tungsten stays as powder
I'm looking at if there is another way to dissolve tungsten without using HF acid
also wondering why the solution stays yellow is this the color of tungsten while it's dissolving?
also what is Wg?
once i dissolve this then i can check for other metals.

Rikki

The Wx just means that the W is not alone. In some contacts the W is combined with Ni to form the sintered pad the Ni is the binder. Also W contacts are made as Tungsten Oxides.

I was reading on this and was wondering have you tried an alkaline, Ammonia or lye to dissolve it? Ate you sure its W and not some other refractory metal or PMG?

Eric

Latest posts

Back